Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 112

Thread: Welcome newbies!

  1. #1
    Director of European Operations Timstertoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    631
    Thanks: 270
    Thanked 202 Times in 129 Posts

    Thumbs up Welcome newbies!

    If you're new at trading in general or want to give another sport/discipline a go this is your section!

    Here there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. So don't feel emberrassed to ask anything, I'm sure you'll get a good answer quick from our more experienced users.

    Once the questions start and answers start accumalating I'll make a sticky FAQ at the top of this page so we'll have a great knowledgebase for any beginner to get stuck in and get up to speed fast.
    If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement I'd be unstoppable!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Timstertoo For This Useful Post:
    jibiko (5th November 2009)
  3. #2
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks: 1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question

    Hi, a couple of quick questions.

    I have started to use the grid interface with the advanced betting options for the left/right click set to back/lay.

    a) If I fire a bet onto the right hand side it is initially unmatched. Is there a quick way to cancel this bet using the grid?

    b) Is there a way of putting a bet into the market which is 1 tick less than the price I click on.

    For example 3 amounts are waiting to be matched at say 10, 24 and 80. Using the grid I click on 80 but would actually like that bet go in at 75, therefore going infront of the monies waiting at 80.

    Not sure if I have explained this very well, but any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Martin

  4. #3
    Support Team The Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7,466
    Thanks: 326
    Thanked 7,703 Times in 2,130 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    a) If I fire a bet onto the right hand side it is initially unmatched. Is there a quick way to cancel this bet using the grid?

    b) Is there a way of putting a bet into the market which is 1 tick less than the price I click on.
    a) Not currently. Although you can float the Unmatched bets window.

    b) No. Why don't you use the ladder instead? Much easier.

  5. #4
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks: 1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile

    Thanks for the swift reply.

    I like the idea of the floating unmatched window, that will help thanks, although I would have preferred a cancel all unmatched bets option as well.

    I have tried the ladder briefly, but it is mainly for in running and I much prefer the grid layout. It seems harder to place bets on the ladder, especially for bigger prices when prices fluctuate quickly.

    Cheers

    Martin

  6. #5
    Support Team The Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    7,466
    Thanks: 326
    Thanked 7,703 Times in 2,130 Posts

    Default

    Right click on the unamtched bets header & there is a menu option to cancel all the bets.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Geek For This Useful Post:
    Boots (10th November 2009), cinzano (10th November 2009)
  8. #6
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks: 1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    quick question about the grid and ladders on betfair. They sometimes seem to provide conflicting info on (especially) lay stakes and amount available. I attached a picture. Can anyone explain?

    Much thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jazzpistons.jpg 
Views:	753 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	396  

  9. #7
    Forum Guru rockaren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LunaPark
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks: 525
    Thanked 598 Times in 362 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo85 View Post
    quick question about the grid and ladders on betfair. They sometimes seem to provide conflicting info on (especially) lay stakes and amount available. I attached a picture. Can anyone explain?

    Much thanks in advance!

    have a look at this thread, maybe it helps


    http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/showth...cross+matching

    http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/showth...cross+matching
    Last edited by rockaren; 10th March 2010 at 04:45 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to rockaren For This Useful Post:
    jojo85 (10th March 2010)
  11. #8
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks: 1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    ah cheers, it's all clear now.

  12. #9
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thanks: 0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default New to api

    Hi

    Looks like good forum here. I just got told about the toy. I downloaded but have not registered yet to use it. Is this software similar to betdevil. And now that I have it, how can I learn to use the toy?

    How is everyone doing with it so far?

    Thanks

  13. #10
    nigelbleddfa
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builder1 View Post
    Hi

    Looks like good forum here. I just got told about the toy. I downloaded but have not registered yet to use it. Is this software similar to betdevil. And now that I have it, how can I learn to use the toy?

    How is everyone doing with it so far?

    Thanks
    I seem to be coping quite nicely. The software is similar to BetDevil in many ways but is much quicker in placing bets.

    Read the manual. It can be found by clicking on the little question mark on the information bar.

  14. #11
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks: 0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default One Click

    I just checked the Youtube introduction videos and i 've played around with Geekstoy myself. When i enter a stake i have to enter it manually, then confirm it. Then when i want to hedge it for a profit i have to calculate it with the backandlay tool, enter it and confirm it. Obviously that all takes some time.

    Now i see videos in the support section. People just clicking away and no confirming just doing their thing. Is that a different form of trading, and how do i set the Geekstoy to enter a stake without confirming?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to DeezNutz For This Useful Post:
    Knight Rider (17th June 2010)
  16. #12
    Forum Guru Quo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,815
    Thanks: 4,259
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,184 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
    I just checked the Youtube introduction videos and i 've played around with Geekstoy myself. When i enter a stake i have to enter it manually, then confirm it. Then when i want to hedge it for a profit i have to calculate it with the backandlay tool, enter it and confirm it. Obviously that all takes some time.

    Now i see videos in the support section. People just clicking away and no confirming just doing their thing. Is that a different form of trading, and how do i set the Geekstoy to enter a stake without confirming?
    Hello and DeezNutz!

    To stop the 'confirm bet' popping up, right click the blue title bar of The Toy and click 'confirm bets' so it's greyed out. This should do the job.

    TT has so much options and esp. customisations to suit your 'almost' every need.

    I know it's a lot to ask, but try to go through the different PDF manuals for every section, where there is a '?', click it and read it, so you see the possibilities, and when you're happy with your setup, save it. So you have the best suited layout for every event you trade at a mouseclick

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Quo For This Useful Post:
    Mike Lennox (8th October 2011)
  18. #13
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks: 0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hey thanks for the welcome and response. I really like the atmosphere on this forum and hope i can contribute soon.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to DeezNutz For This Useful Post:
    Quo (17th June 2010)
  20. #14
    Novice Intoxicating's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thanks: 0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Have to agree with the guy above I really like the atmosphere here I've been reading threads for a while and everyone seems so genuine not trying to do each other over or sell rubbish system to each other, its a fresh change to norm betting forums.

  21. #15
    Virgin
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thanks: 0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intoxicating View Post
    Have to agree with the guy above I really like the atmosphere here I've been reading threads for a while and everyone seems so genuine not trying to do each other over or sell rubbish system to each other, its a fresh change to norm betting forums.
    I agree. Nice forum, nice Toy. As a recent recruit I wonder if your more experienced members could advise me if it is worth attending the upcoming Betfair Trading Seminars. Appear to be gratis, so thats good, just wonder if there is anything to be learned.
    Also, do you think it is possible long term to make money by laying short priced horses, or is it always best to trade. I have tried laying, but whilst not losing any money, I always seem to be treading water, rather than making a profit. Any views would be appreciated.

  22. #16
    Forum Guru thebarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    darlo
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks: 297
    Thanked 966 Times in 917 Posts

    Default spikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Timstertoo View Post
    If you're new at trading in general or want to give another sport/discipline a go this is your section!

    Here there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. So don't feel emberrassed to ask anything, I'm sure you'll get a good answer quick from our more experienced users.

    Once the questions start and answers start accumalating I'll make a sticky FAQ at the top of this page so we'll have a great knowledgebase for any beginner to get stuck in and get up to speed fast.
    hi, newbie needs a little advice, when you place a trade and it spikes
    straight away, the wrong way (as usuall) and keeps on going!!!!!!!!
    what is your responce? go in running? take a big loss?
    just found t.t, and it's the best thing since sliced bread, i'm gobsmacked
    with it. but with no stop loss i need best advice.
    hit three spikes today, and took 2 losses and 1 big loss in running.
    many thanks in advance.

    p.s the geeks posting (the 5 stages to betfair trading) brilliant,

    (just because your not paranoid, doesn't mean there not out to get you)

  23. #17
    Forum Guru kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,972
    Thanks: 5,160
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 813 Posts

    Default

    it depends how you are trading. as example if you scalp horses pre race, you close as soon as you see trade gone wrong way. if you swing trade, you maybe can a bit wait and see maybe this was just temporary move and trade can go right way again. if you analyse horse before trade, and approximately know how horse can behave inruning, you may leave wrong trade for some time inruning, it all depends on your style of trading, you should make at least approximate account how much trades you do wrong and how much you would lose if you let them run. i mean, as example, if you are scalping, if trade goes right, you earn one, two, three ticks, if trade goes wrong and you leave it in hope for coming back, you loose maybe 20 ticks or even half bank, so maybe better idea close wrong trades as far as you close right ones, close at one, two or three ticks them too
    справка по The Geeks Toy на русском »» здеся ««

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to kawasaki For This Useful Post:
    thebarron (12th December 2010)
  25. #18
    Forum Guru thebarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    darlo
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks: 297
    Thanked 966 Times in 917 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
    it depends how you are trading. as example if you scalp horses pre race, you close as soon as you see trade gone wrong way. if you swing trade, you maybe can a bit wait and see maybe this was just temporary move and trade can go right way again. if you analyse horse before trade, and approximately know how horse can behave inruning, you may leave wrong trade for some time inruning, it all depends on your style of trading, you should make at least approximate account how much trades you do wrong and how much you would lose if you let them run. i mean, as example, if you are scalping, if trade goes right, you earn one, two, three ticks, if trade goes wrong and you leave it in hope for coming back, you loose maybe 20 ticks or even half bank, so maybe better idea close wrong trades as far as you close right ones, close at one, two or three ticks them too
    yes pre-race scalping, when it spikes 5-6- or 7 ticks and does not come back,
    just keeps on going, while you are thinking of taking the loss it has gone further, am i at fault for trading the wrong horse? or does anybody else
    have this problem? if so what is best advice.

    (just because your not paranoid, doesn't mean there not out to get you)

  26. #19
    Forum Guru kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,972
    Thanks: 5,160
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 813 Posts

    Default

    ... what you mean? if you scalp, you close as fast as you can, why wait for 7 ticks gone wrong?
    справка по The Geeks Toy на русском »» здеся ««

  27. #20
    Forum Guru thebarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    darlo
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks: 297
    Thanked 966 Times in 917 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
    ... what you mean? if you scalp, you close as fast as you can, why wait for 7 ticks gone wrong?
    sorry i must have explained it wrong, i am talking about when it spikes
    6 or 7 ticks straight away, you can't get out before it's jumped, it's jumped
    and doesn't come back?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Talented Mavericks Limited
26 Buttercup Close
Corby
Northants
England
NN18 8LB

UK Company # 04872848
UK VAT # 887366268

Facebook TwitterYouTube



Betfair    Betdaq    VISA  Mastercard  American Express  Dinners Club  Discover  PayPal  Skrill