Thread: High CPU usage when switching markets quickly.

Hybrid View

Default High CPU usage when switching markets quickly.

Does anyone else have issues with high CPU usage by the Geeks Toy when they switch from one market to another quickly and then that high CPU usage remain high even when you close the markets?

For example, when I first load up the software it uses low single digit percentage of the CPU but then when I move from one market to another to another to another etc with just a second or 2 between market switches, the CPU usage goes up to over 50% by the Geeks Toy. If I then close the market and so have no markets open, only the main Market Navigator window is open, the CPU usage remains very high at over 50% by the Geeks Toy.

The only solution seems to be to close the application and reload it which I have to do as my computer grinds to a halt almost as the Geeks Toy is using up so much of the CPU.

This problem only crops up when I have to switch rapidly between markets, if I am switching between markets slowly there isn't an issue and the CPU usage remains as you would expect and when you close the markets it goes back to low single digit % of CPU usage.

But as soon as you switch quickly the problem starts and remains. Eventually the computer uses up 100% of the CPU and you have to shut the Geeks Toy down to get it back down to normal usage and the cycle begins again.

This isn't a new issue, it is just I am getting fed up having to restart the software so often throughout the day and logging back in that I thought I would post about it to see if it was just me or anyone else and to see if there was any solution?

Hi PDC. I tested now, the CPU goes back to low digits after it spikes up over 50% when I change the markets faster than normal. I'm using Windows 7 64 bits. Have you tried to reinstall the GT?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bog For This Useful Post:
    PDC (17th November 2020)

Thanks for testing it.

It doesn't happen for me every single time I do a bunch of switching so it is hard to replicate at the moment until I can figure out what is triggering it. But it happens consistently through the day, today I have had to restart about 5 times, yesterday it was a similar amount of times.

Today I tried switching from one market to the next as soon as each market loaded to try and trigger it, after 50 or so market switches it hadn't happened and I got fed up.

Then not long after while trading as normal it happened but I can't say what I did to trigger it. So I am not surprised it didn't happen for you Bog.

I often don't notice it has been creeping up the amount of CPU it is using until it is using so much it is running at a crawl and I have to restart, so the initial causes might have been a while back but due to the spare capacity in the CPU usage at that point I didn't notice it.

Hopefully I can figure out what the cause is as it really is annoying when you come to trade a market just before the off, switching from the last race and everything all of a sudden crawls to almost a standstill and the first you notice is when you click to submit a bet and you sit there questioning yourself, did I click or not? The other week I clicked again as I thought I hadn't clicked, the race started and I suddenly realised I had actually had two bets submitted and then trying to exit was a nightmare as each click was taking almost 10 seconds to appear on the ladder.

I have the same problem towards the end of each racing day too. Regular as clockwork.
    Doesn't happen on shorter sessions.
    I have a bookie market and the betfair website open on chrome as well as the toy and usually need to shut them all down and restart to get it working again.

Have tried redownloading toy and all sort of fiddling around without success. Would love a solution if there is one.

Has caught me out a few times too if I don't remember to do a preemptive reboot.

Filthy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to filthy_muck For This Useful Post:
    PDC (19th November 2020)

When you have the problem filthy_muck do you look in Task Manager to see what it is that is using up all the CPU? You mentioned having Chrome open as well so I wasn't sure if you were saying they were causing the issue as well or if it was just The TOy using up the CPU?

What Windows are you using guys? Windows 10? In Windows 7 it's working ok. Maybe an update from Microsoft of Windows 10 affected the GT?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bog For This Useful Post:
    PDC (24th November 2020)