Thread: High CPU usage when switching markets quickly.

Default High CPU usage when switching markets quickly.

Does anyone else have issues with high CPU usage by the Geeks Toy when they switch from one market to another quickly and then that high CPU usage remain high even when you close the markets?

For example, when I first load up the software it uses low single digit percentage of the CPU but then when I move from one market to another to another to another etc with just a second or 2 between market switches, the CPU usage goes up to over 50% by the Geeks Toy. If I then close the market and so have no markets open, only the main Market Navigator window is open, the CPU usage remains very high at over 50% by the Geeks Toy.

The only solution seems to be to close the application and reload it which I have to do as my computer grinds to a halt almost as the Geeks Toy is using up so much of the CPU.

This problem only crops up when I have to switch rapidly between markets, if I am switching between markets slowly there isn't an issue and the CPU usage remains as you would expect and when you close the markets it goes back to low single digit % of CPU usage.

But as soon as you switch quickly the problem starts and remains. Eventually the computer uses up 100% of the CPU and you have to shut the Geeks Toy down to get it back down to normal usage and the cycle begins again.

This isn't a new issue, it is just I am getting fed up having to restart the software so often throughout the day and logging back in that I thought I would post about it to see if it was just me or anyone else and to see if there was any solution?

Hi PDC. I tested now, the CPU goes back to low digits after it spikes up over 50% when I change the markets faster than normal. I'm using Windows 7 64 bits. Have you tried to reinstall the GT?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bog For This Useful Post:
    PDC (17th November 2020)

Thanks for testing it.

It doesn't happen for me every single time I do a bunch of switching so it is hard to replicate at the moment until I can figure out what is triggering it. But it happens consistently through the day, today I have had to restart about 5 times, yesterday it was a similar amount of times.

Today I tried switching from one market to the next as soon as each market loaded to try and trigger it, after 50 or so market switches it hadn't happened and I got fed up.

Then not long after while trading as normal it happened but I can't say what I did to trigger it. So I am not surprised it didn't happen for you Bog.

I often don't notice it has been creeping up the amount of CPU it is using until it is using so much it is running at a crawl and I have to restart, so the initial causes might have been a while back but due to the spare capacity in the CPU usage at that point I didn't notice it.

Hopefully I can figure out what the cause is as it really is annoying when you come to trade a market just before the off, switching from the last race and everything all of a sudden crawls to almost a standstill and the first you notice is when you click to submit a bet and you sit there questioning yourself, did I click or not? The other week I clicked again as I thought I hadn't clicked, the race started and I suddenly realised I had actually had two bets submitted and then trying to exit was a nightmare as each click was taking almost 10 seconds to appear on the ladder.

I have the same problem towards the end of each racing day too. Regular as clockwork.
    Doesn't happen on shorter sessions.
    I have a bookie market and the betfair website open on chrome as well as the toy and usually need to shut them all down and restart to get it working again.

Have tried redownloading toy and all sort of fiddling around without success. Would love a solution if there is one.

Has caught me out a few times too if I don't remember to do a preemptive reboot.

Filthy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to filthy_muck For This Useful Post:
    PDC (19th November 2020)

When you have the problem filthy_muck do you look in Task Manager to see what it is that is using up all the CPU? You mentioned having Chrome open as well so I wasn't sure if you were saying they were causing the issue as well or if it was just The TOy using up the CPU?

What Windows are you using guys? Windows 10? In Windows 7 it's working ok. Maybe an update from Microsoft of Windows 10 affected the GT?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bog For This Useful Post:
    PDC (24th November 2020)

Hi Bog, this isn't a new issue so it won't be to do with any Windows update. It is something specific to the toy as all the other programs run without issue. It has become more of an issue for me in recent months as I now monitor more markets throughout the day having discovered new tradeable markets during the lockdown period when horse racing was off so I am switching markets a lot more than I used to.

I have had another person contact me privately about this issue who switches markets a lot as well and they have had the same CPU issue for a long time as well.

I think if you trade a market for a few minutes and then switch to another you are unlikely to come across it.

I am averaging about 7 restarts of the software a day at the moment.

Okay, so I am pretty sure I have figured out what is causing this issue and can replicate it repeatedly.

The market switching was a red hearing and appears to not be the cause at all, it was just coincidental.

What I need is someone else to be kind enough and to test it out on their set up to see if the problem occurs for them as that would then make it clear it is a software issue and not a local issue to me, which I don't think it is.

It should take less than 5 minutes to test it.

I will try and explain as best I can and if someone could test it out and let me know that would be great!

So:

1. This step lets you monitor CPU usage on your computer.

Load up on your computer the "Task Manager" window and switch to the "Processes" tab so that you are able to monitor CPU usage on your computer. If you sort the list of processes running by "Name" it will keep "AGT Pro" at the top of the list at all times and so is easy to keep an eye on how much CPU The Toy is using.

2. Load up and log in to "The Toy" as normal.

3. With the software now loaded up, if you don't already have it visible, display the "Market Navigator".

4. Right click the top bar of the "Market Navigator" to display the options menu.

5. Take a note of the current CPU usage of The Geeks Toy, it should be very low.

6. On the "Market Navigator" menu click on "Refresh from Betfair". This will refresh the market navigator list of markets.

This is what appears to be causing the issue. The act of refreshing the Market Navigator from Betfair causes a significant increase of the demands of The Toy on the CPU. It then remains high though does drop a little from the initial peak.

7. Take a note of the current CPU usage of The Geeks Toy - has it increased and remained at the higher level?

8. Repeat the refresh of the "Market Navigator" as done in step 6.

The CPU usage will go higher still and remain at this new higher level.

9. If you keep refreshing the "Market Navigator" the CPU usage of The Toy will eventually be in or around 100%.

10. Close the software down and the CPU usage goes back to zero.

11. Reload the software and log in and the CPU usage is back to the very low level you would expect.

Obviously normally you wouldn't refresh the Market Navigator in such quick succession but I do refresh it quite often to remove the now closed markets from the Market Navigator list of markets.

My system can cope with one or maybe two refreshes but by the third The Toy is using up so much CPU the whole system grinds to a halt and if I haven't remembered to close and reload the software and try to trade a market it is near impossible but by then I may have already tried to enter an order and the race is about to start so I don't have time to close and reload.

Could someone, or multiple people, try the above steps and let me know what happens for them and report back to the thread.

That would be fantastic!

Thanks!

I've just tried this and as you say the CPU spikes but it does drop down again even after repeated refreshes It doesn't appear to stay high.

Admittedly this test was done in a quiet time of day with no market open or any action.
    I'll try again later.

Appreciate your efforts to resolve this.

cheers,

Filthy

Thanks for trying this out filthy_muck.

I don't think doing it at a busy time of day will make any difference as I have tried it at various times of the day and always get the same result, high CPU usage.

Today I decided I would not do the refresh from Betfair at all and have not had any issues at all with the CPU usage.

So I am now 100% sure the issue lies in using this option from the menu. Though why it causes issues for me and not you, I do not know the answer to.

It would be good if some others could also try it for us and let us know what happen via this thread.

I don't think the forum is monitored by The Geek and his team any more so I will contact them directly about this next week, hopefully, after a few others have tried out the above steps.

Thanks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PDC For This Useful Post:
    filthy_muck (28th November 2020)

Hi PDC, the only issue I have is with memory usage instead. I often use "refresh from betfair" in coupons and I have 2 markets opened simultaneously. Switching, closing, reopening them is also what I do. If I trade since morning, for example, I have to close The Toy lets say in the middle of my trading day. Memory usage reaches then about 500-600 MB and I get red crossed rectangles in coupons and I cannot open any market. Then I just restart The Toy and that's ok for the rest of the day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to valve For This Useful Post:
    PDC (29th November 2020)