Thread: Bets keep STUCK and money has been LOST

Novice

Default Bets keep STUCK and money has been LOST

Ok, traded - bets got "stuck" (no chance to take them out, to red or green) lost 120 euros because of it. Who's fault is it? there are technical difficulties for sure. On who's side Geek's of Betfair's? I WANT MY MONEY BACK and bets voided. Am I the only one who lost because of it money?

Novice

It happened this saturday when the horses started...anyone else has the same loses?

Novice

This happened to me also. I got error message saying "protocol error" and I couldnt cancel or hedge out my bets. I instantly went to Betfair's own site and was able to cancel and hedge out from there. Didnt lose much but it was close! Anybody know why I got that error message and what does it mean and how to avoid this happening? This put me off and im not sure If im willing to take the risk again this evening. This happened to me in the Brighton v Man Utd match.

Novice

I couldnt trade out or cancel - lost 120 because of this BS - I'm mad as hell

Novice

I''ve lost 70 on dogs..just could cancel anything..

Novice

Oh man! I feel you! I think im not going to trade anything tonight or until I have had some answer from geek or someone else.

Novice

I've contacted betfair - usual bs..maybe geek's fault..I WANT MY MONEY BACK for Pete's sake

Novice

now it goes ok

Novice

Can anybody help on what the error message "protocol error" means? And how to avoid it?

It was an error at Betfair, not the fault of this or any other software.

You won't get your money back as Betfair will just quote the T&C's that basically say there is no guarantee that the exchange will be available to allow you to exit a trade. You could have done so on the website as it was just the API that was affected or use Betdaq.

Try to put it behind you and move on and realise this is one of the many risks to trading. These things happen unfortunately.

It isn't the first time such a thing has happened and it is a certainty that it won't be the last. If you want to carry on trading you need to be aware that this type of risk exists. Only other option is to not trade.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

The issue appears to have been related to their DDOS protection system.

Novice

Thanks for clarifying! Absolutely understand that this aint Geekstoy's problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleh00 For This Useful Post:
    PDC (29th September 2020)

The same things seemed to happen yesterday but for a much shorter period thankfully.

Novice

Hi Guys,

is this the same issue as I have detailed in this post or another issue?

http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/showth...Betfair-Fiasco

If so, it's blinkin' scarey!

All the best

Jay.

Yes it is the same situation. They would not have voided the market. They never do and never will. Every time this sort of thing happens people call for the market to be voided. It won't happen. This is a risk of trading. There is no certainty the exchange will be available to close out your trade. Remember most people using the exchange aren't trading, they are betting. They don't care if it goes down. If their horse won they will expect to be paid out.

Don't like the rules? Don't trade, that is the only option.

There are measure that can be taken to help in these situations like checking the website, checking twitter, use another exchange to close out, get on the phone and know your account details. There have been various posts on here and on people's blogs about what to do.

Do your research and then if happy to accept the risk carry on trading. If you don't accept the risk, stop trading.

Novice

I was thinking that if all of us could update to this thread all of the things like this? I mean this was the first time i encountered something like this. Maybe by updating to this thread we all could get some kind of a picture about the situation and when the tecnical issues go away.

Just keep an eye on Twitter using the search function for "Betfair".

Tweetdeck was recommended to me for this as you can have a column permanently for this purpose allowing you to quickly check when you think you might have an issue.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PDC For This Useful Post:
    InvisibleLayer (7th October 2020)