X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super League. Week 1. Leeds v Celtic. SKY game. Friday - 8.00 PM

Well here we are boys (and girls).

The return of Super League 2010.

Of course, we are treated to a dire first game where the coach of one team is saying that his team is "under prepared" and will include players who are "not ready".

http://superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16400

Way to set the expectations although in his defence, this is a club who are yet to even release their squad and it wasn't included in the official SL handbook!

Now, you can never say never in RL, but I agree with him. On paper, this should be a walk in for Leeds and I'm not even sure that their starting price will be higher than the 1.04 you can currently get with bookmakers. I have no doubts that the Crusaders will improve as the season goes on, but the best current comparison would be that they have no foundations set!

Whereas Leeds have won the Grand Final in three consecutive years, lost only one key member from their 2009 squad, brought in two very decent overseas players and have a group of youngsters who are only going to improve.

Either way, it's good to have Super League back!

N.B. - My one current thought is that this time last year, this game kicked off Super Leagie. Leeds raced 22-0 up after 20 minutes. The game ended 28 - 6. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a similar set of events.

Trivia Question: Super League started on 26 March 1996 as Sheffield Eagles travelled to Paris Saint Germain. Name the player who is set to play in this match who also played in the very first Super League game.

Originally posted by The Real Moaner View Post
    Well here we are boys (and girls).

The return of Super League 2010.

Of course, we are treated to a dire first game where the coach of one team is saying that his team is "under prepared" and will include players who are "not ready".

http://superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16400

Way to set the expectations although in his defence, this is a club who are yet to even release their squad and it wasn't included in the official SL handbook!

Now, you can never say never in RL, but I agree with him. On paper, this should be a walk in for Leeds and I'm not even sure that their starting price will be higher than the 1.04 you can currently get with bookmakers. I have no doubts that the Crusaders will improve as the season goes on, but the best current comparison would be that they have no foundations set!

Whereas Leeds have won the Grand Final in three consecutive years, lost only one key member from their 2009 squad, brought in two very decent overseas players and have a group of youngsters who are only going to improve.

Either way, it's good to have Super League back!

N.B. - My one current thought is that this time last year, this game kicked off Super Leagie. Leeds raced 22-0 up after 20 minutes. The game ended 28 - 6. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a similar set of events.

Trivia Question: Super League started on 26 March 1996 as Sheffield Eagles travelled to Paris Saint Germain. Name the player who is set to play in this match who also played in the very first Super League game.
    Triva Answer: Keith Senior

Comment

No idea on your trivia but great to see your post.

Never having watched/traded or had anything else to do with rugby you have stimulated my sporting awareness. many thanks Craig and look forward to a very profitable, what, 10 months.
      When I die and they lay me to rest,
      I'm gonna get pissed with Georgie Best

Comment

Originally posted by Firkinelle View Post
        No idea on your trivia but great to see your post.

Never having watched/traded or had anything else to do with rugby you have stimulated my sporting awareness. many thanks Craig and look forward to a very profitable, what, 10 months.
        Only 8 and a bit!

189 games. Around 60 of which will be on SKY. Add in around 10 Cup games on TV and 9 post season games...!

It's the non TV games which are interesting me the most. Not sure whether to follow last season's "spot".

And well done on the trivia answer, smudger!

Comment

Only 8 and a bit!

189 games. Around 60 of which will be on SKY. Add in around 10 Cup games on TV and 9 post season games...!

It's the non TV games which are interesting me the most. Not sure whether to follow last season's "spot".

And well done on the trivia answer, smudger!
          So long as they're in play it'll do me - I don't know whose playing betting during the match anyway (only by the score)
          When I die and they lay me to rest,
          I'm gonna get pissed with Georgie Best

Comment

Just had my first bet matched for the season.

Less than 29 and a half hours to go. Going to open with a damp squib but I feel like a kid on Christmas day.

Comment

Crusaders RL squad

Youngquest, Mellars, Raynor, Witt, O'Hara, Withers, Bryant, Chan, Trimarchi, Dyer, Lee, Winternstein, Peek, Thackray, Flower, White, Kear, Lupton, James.

Leeds Rhinos squad

Webb, Donald, Delaney, Senior, Hall, McGuire, Burrow, Leuluai, Buderus, Jones-Buchanan, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Diskin, Eastwood, Bailey, Kirke, Ablett, Burgess, Watkins.

I'd expect White and Kear to drop from Celtic and Watkins and Kirke to drop from Leeds barring any late injuries.

Personally, I can't advocate a lay of Leeds at any price prior to kick off. It is week one and you do never know (and I'm not convinced of the merits of backing Leeds) but it is hard to see anything but a Leeds walk over.

That said, RL has a history of throwing up some strangeness. Personally, I think a key area to watch would be to lay Leeds in the Handicap market (if there's any liquidity!) if they start fast.

Comment

I do not tip 1.08 shots, but this Leeds v Celtic price is insane.

Surely it has to trade lower? I'm onto my maximum outlay and that was at 1.07.

I won't carry 1.07 in play so do hope it trades lower but that price looks insane.

Bookies go best price 1/20 (One) and nothing to back at 1.06 / 1.07. Favs usually get backed in (Home favs more heavily) but someone with a large bank could do worse than taking that and laying it back at 1.06 / 1.07 for a nice prpfit.

Comment

Whoever took it could have left some for me!!!

Comment

Price down to 1.04 / 1.05. Anyone who had a large enough bank would have a very nice green now!

Probably won't be much trading activity during the match, however.

But you never know...

Comment

Teams

( ) Nick Youngquest FULL BACK Kallum Watkins (23)
                      (2) Luke Dyer WINGER Scott Donald (2)
                      ( ) Rocky Trimarchi CENTRE Brett Delaney (3)
                      ( ) Vince Mellars CENTRE Keith Senior (4)
                      ( ) Gareth Raynor WINGER Ryan Hall (5)
                      ( ) Michael Witt STAND OFF Danny McGuire (6)
                      (9) Lincoln Withers SCRUM HALF Robert Burrow (7)
                      (8) Ryan O'Hara PROP Kylie Leuluai (8)
                      ( ) Tommy Lee HOOKER Danny Buderus (9)
                      (10) Mark Bryant PROP Ryan Bailey (16)
                      (19) Jason Chan SECOND ROW Jamie Jones-Buchanan (11)
                      (11) Adam Peek SECOND ROW Carl Ablett (18)
                      ( ) Frankie Winternstein LOOSE FORWARD Kevin Sinfield (13)

( ) Jamie Thackray SUBS Ali Lauitiiti (12)
                      (17) Jordan James Matt Diskin (14)
                      (29) Lloyd White Greg Eastwood (15)
                      (15) Peter Lupton Ian Kirke (17)

Heavy snow on the pitch has held the Leeds price up at 1.04 / 1.05.

Comment

Price down to 1.04 / 1.05. Anyone who had a large enough bank would have a very nice green now!

Probably won't be much trading activity during the match, however.

But you never know...
                        So no tip for a market to trade in play?

Comment

Unfortunately at this point it's very much wait and see.

Comment

Unfortunately at this point it's very much wait and see.
                            Well i'm a leeds fan but remember the same game ladt year and they kept the gap to 20ish points on a much better pitch so i fancy them with 10.5 start...... Might back that and see if they keep it tight early on and take a bit of green - heres hoping!!!

Comment

Competent enough start from Crusaders.

Fitness on this pitch will be a key, key issue.

Could be a reverse of last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X