Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie press giving out some stick

"IT'S crunch time for Marcus North. Again. He's Australian cricket's equivalent of dead man walking. Again.

The proverbial noose around North's neck tightened with another failure in the second Test, and he now faces a public execution of his Test career.

Raw numbers are crunching North - they simply don't add up to being gifted another Test.

Fast bowlers Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus were dumped after one bad Test.

But North continues to get a game on the hope of a run feast, when all forecasts point to famine.

North has twice this year produced career saving centuries - in March against New Zealand, and in October against India. Both tons came amid calls for his head.

North was like a cockroach - so hard to kill off.

But those centuries were exceptions, rather than the rule.

He surely has only one last chance to save his Test skin: a substantial second innings in the second Test.

The 31-year-old's recent statistics are alarmingly inconsistent.

He has played 34 Test innings. In 15 of them, he has made less than 10.

In half of his past 18 innings, North has failed to reach double figures.

In those past 18 digs, North has passed 26 just three times - two of which were the career saving tons.

His career average is 35.90 - by far the worst of Australia's current top six.
    When I die and they lay me to rest,
    I'm gonna get pissed with Georgie Best

Comment

Comment

Good old Elvis

Aussie team staying at heartbreak hotel tonight because they're all shook up?

If you see Ricky Ponting tonight, don't be cruel

The Aussies are caught in a trap, they can't get out ....

Comment

Its been a pleasure to watch so far and the price on England retaining the Ashes is slowly coming down.

Comment

ICC Test rankings this week will show India first South Africa second and England third!!

Comment

Aussie press

'DO YOU want the bad news or the really bad news? The bad news is that Australian cricket has reached the bottom of the barrel. Let us not kid ourselves.

There is no short-term fix for ailing Australia . . . not a single player outside the Test team who would make a serious difference to the Ashes series.

Everyone worth a game has been given a game.

You may have noticed that the chatter about fringe players died down, as it should have, after England beat Australia's second XI by 10 wickets in Hobart, despite resting its frontline attack.

Our young batsmen - players such as Callum Ferguson and Usman Khawaja - do not have the form or records to kick the selection room door down. Many are overrated.

Our fringe fast-bowling stocks are full of honest toilers but no stars and most are either too young, too old or overhyped.

And our spinners . . . sorry, what was that word again?

But the really bad news is that things will get worse before they get better and, some time in the next year or so, our fortunes will spear through the bottom of the barrel and hit raw earth.

That's when Ricky Ponting, Mike Hussey and Simon Katich retire and Michael Clarke is left to captain a team of kids.

Comment

2nd Test Match Odds

Currently 1.98 England, 2.00 the Draw and any price you like Australia.

Speculation is that Strauss will declare overnight and give the Aussie batsmen another go, although the draw price is currently holding up due to the weather forecast.

From the Guardian;

"The weather forecast in Adelaide will be a source of concern for England, with heavy rain expected from 3pm on Monday, followed by intermittent showers at around 9am on Tuesday morning and further deluges from noon. With the likelihood of rain rated at 75% or higher from 3pm tomorrow, the next two sessions of play could present England bowlers' best chance of launching a sustained attack on Australia's batsmen."

Comment

Hussey, a good early wicket for England.

Weather looks OK at the moment.

Comment

....and Anderson gets Haddin, just a matter of time now

Comment

Best TV of the day

Comment

Gilchrist was the only other Aussie to get a king pair - now Harris

Comment

you sound like you're enjoying this a little too much firkinelle

Comment

katich out for the series due to injury

Comment

Originally posted by johnsmith View Post
                              you sound like you're enjoying this a little too much firkinelle
                              Sure am.

Broad is also out of the series with a bad side - that's 2 he's seen in the last couple of weeks

Comment

It's all over, innings and 71 runs

Comment

Working...
                                X