No announcement yet.

Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am tempted to agree John as England have struggled in the past to cope with Mcgrath, Warne, Waugh Etc in Oz so I can see them struggling again against the likes of Steven Smith, Hauritz, Bollinger and Mitchell Johnson................hmmmmmm Ok Maybe not!! I tend to agree with Firk in that as long as England dont lose the first test then it will all be pretty straight forward against a very average Australian team.

Comment

I think the Aussies will win the Ashes!!!

how many times have I heard that this is England's best chance of winning/regaining the ashes blah blah blah,

the Aussies are more than capable of blowing england away, especially on home soil.

If england were so good then why are the Aussies still favs? because England blow it every time they travel down under.

ive decided to back Australia in the draw no bet market not because im not confident but because strange things can happen in test cricket!!!

this will be the biggest bet ive ever had!!!!

Comment

Suppose we'll all be laying the draw, as usual ! 3.85/3.90

Comment

aussies havent lost at the gabba (1st test venue) in 26 years

notice how we sent you to tassie to play the last leadup game , bottom of aust , cold and slow low decks, yet first test is north , humid , hot and bouncy green wicket

Comment

Originally posted by johnsmith View Post
            aussies havent lost at the gabba (1st test venue) in 26 years

notice how we sent you to tassie to play the last leadup game , bottom of aust , cold and slow low decks, yet first test is north , humid , hot and bouncy green wicket
            What exactly does history mean though? Apart from the fact that they lost a test there in 88, 22 years ago against Windies, I heard a similar stat about Lords, how they hadn't lost a test there in 76 years or something. Of course the details on games played and teams weren't part of the argument.

Here are some different numbers. If we use 88 as somewhat of a start point since that is their last test loss, we find that the Australian team haven't lost in a lot of places since then, well here are some stats from 1990-2009 anyway...

Tests: 220
            Wins: 125
            Losses: 44
            Draws: 65

Australia is not the same team is it was in those 20 years. Going off stats for the past really doesn't mean a hell of a lot unless all conditions are the same.
            I still believe that we will embarrass the Poms, but not because of any stats like those from an irrelevant history involving a whole bunch of other cricketers. Only stats that matter here are for the current players, which I still think are way too good for any England team (rotflmfao, England?) that will turn up this year.

Comment

one of the reasons we havent lost in so long there, is the gabba is the fastest and bounciest wicket in the world and touring teams struggle to come to terms with the pitch, so i disagree with your opinion that history doesnt matter.

touring bowlers see the bounce and pitch too short , whereas the aussies know the pitch and bowl a better length at the gabba as thats where the wickets come from.

anyway, from a trading perspective, i think the appropriate strategy will be to lay the team that bats first as generally you see a few wickets in the first session until the pitch dries out a bit. whoever bats first will drift out in the first part of the game.

the gabba is probably the hardest place in aust to bat the first session , and alternatively is probably the best place to bat in aust on day 2

day 2/3 is generally a batting paradise.

this particular year the wicket is at its deadliest for the start of the test.

Comment

I can never understand cricket odds so stay completely away but...

The Ashes starts in less than 8 hours.

(Perhaps my most pointless post ever, and that's saying something!)

Comment

Ashes Predictions

Series score 2-2 - England retain the Ashes

Ian Bell doesn't make a score above 40 in the series.

Mitchell Johnson is made to look very ordinary by Strauss & KP.

These predictions will probably look stupid by this time tomorrow

Comment

Great Start

Strauss, Oops!

Comment

touring bowlers see the bounce and pitch too short , whereas the aussies know the pitch and bowl a better length at the gabba as thats where the wickets come from.
                      Oops. Until now. Now you have let the secret out, and the whole world knows how to bowl there. Find it difficult to believe you are the only person in the world outside of the Australian cricket team that understands what happens there.

Comment

tem

you would have to be the biggest amicable sesquipedalian rhetorician on this forum by a long way
                        Last edited by Mr Moderator; 25 November 2010, 04:15 AM. Reason: friends for life

Comment

Originally posted by johnsmith View Post
                          tem

you would have to be the biggest amicable sesquipedalian rhetorician on this forum by a long way
                          Why? Because my opinion opposes yours I am a amicable sesquipedalian rhetorician? rotflmfao... Touchy touchy...

If you can't see that you are making ridiculous statements claiming superior knowledge to cricket than those involved in the multi billion dollar industry, then carry on with your "bliss"....

Have a good day, hope you make a killing. Even more than you deserve being head coach of basically any international cricket nation that I would imagine would all be banging down your door with offers.
                          Last edited by Mr Moderator; 25 November 2010, 04:17 AM. Reason: friends for life

Comment

Here is the biggest tip for you Johnsmith. Click on my name, then you will find a menu User List. Select ignore, then confirm. You will never have to see another of my posts if they bother you that much.

Old Today, 10:57 AM
                            Remove user from ignore list
                            johnsmith
                            This message is hidden because johnsmith is on your ignore list.
                            Ahh. Beautiful.

Comment

A healthy discussion is encouraged guys, but please keep it civilised! Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin View Post
                                Oops. Until now. Now you have let the secret out, and the whole world knows how to bowl there. Find it difficult to believe you are the only person in the world outside of the Australian cricket team that understands what happens there.
                                lol! exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X