Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Monitors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dual Monitors

    Looking for some help.

    I have two monitors and have read that it can be useful for trading to use upto 4 Anyway I want to give 2 a go and see if it helps. I currently have windows XP as my operating system.

    Do I need to buy any software or can I just plug it in?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Drifter View Post
    Looking for some help.

    I have two monitors and have read that it can be useful for trading to use upto 4 Anyway I want to give 2 a go and see if it helps. I currently have windows XP as my operating system.

    Do I need to buy any software or can I just plug it in?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If your graphcs card has 2 outputs then it should be fine to jst plug in as the card will be capable of running 2 displays..... If it doesn't then you won't beable to plug it in,, so then disregard this post!

    Comment


    • #3
      Also if you do dEcide to go downn the 4 displays route don't feel the need to spend a fortune ! I use tge nvidia quadro Nvs 440, £69 off eBay!! Works a treat though no good for gaming!!!
      there are many older cards but that was tge oldest I was prepared to accept

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Shergar.

        I have now realised that I only have one output at the moment. I need to solve that first

        Not great at this technical stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Drifter View Post
          Thanks Shergar.

          I have now realised that I only have one output at the moment. I need to solve that first

          Not great at this technical stuff.
          LOL always pays to check!
          You can get dual output cards really cheap now though , I just checked an old post and I paid £75 for the quad card! Not £69! So appologies

          Look Here
          You might get this at a bargain looks like all cables included! correction he's opnly including 2 splitters either Dsub or DVI!

          Make sure you get the splitter cables though as priced here

          Dont get this one though as its pretty much the one I got @ 13.5% the cost of that LOL

          Just shop around
          Last edited by The Joker; 7 March 2010, 05:56 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would say go with 2 to start with you can just extend your desktop to span both, I am of the opinion that there is only so much info you can take in at any one time and I think people sometimes surround themselves with too much.

            Personally I have one monitor where I run my VPS (Bet Devil) in fullscreen mode so that I can put charts also on same screen next to ladders. Other monitor is my laptop screen which I have betfair website and also the bookies prices up which I can flick between. For me that works fine. I have also a small flatscreen TV which I have ATR on.

            I have sat with some pro traders who also have the same (Jack Birkhead for example has exactly the same setup)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scotty_73 View Post
              I would say go with 2 to start with you can just extend your desktop to span both, I am of the opinion that there is only so much info you can take in at any one time and I think people sometimes surround themselves with too much.

              Personally I have one monitor where I run my VPS (Bet Devil) in fullscreen mode so that I can put charts also on same screen next to ladders. Other monitor is my laptop screen which I have betfair website and also the bookies prices up which I can flick between. For me that works fine. I have also a small flatscreen TV which I have ATR on.

              I have sat with some pro traders who also have the same (Jack Birkhead for example has exactly the same setup)
              Hi Scotty this is Jacks setup

              But yes I get what your saying! Information overload n all that! personally I want when fully set up i.e. when my bigger desk comes. To take advantage of screen space so as to not need to flick between pages etc. its there right when i need it no need to "alt tab" or move my mouse away from the ladder in the middle of trading! Having said that what ever works best for you is what people should go with! Also I only meant to get the Quad card if it was cheap enough as it then leaves room for scalability at a later date, without the need to add another card, if he so desires.
              Also how did you get on on his course??

              Comment


              • #8
                Has anyone here experienced blue screen that can be attributed to an inferior graphics card?

                I'm currently using dual monitors through a 256 MB graphics card which I'm changing to a 512 MB card this week. This may not be the cause but my PC is at it's most vulnerable when viewing films e.t.c.
                I often use big words that I don't fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shergar View Post
                  Hi Scotty this is Jacks setup

                  But yes I get what your saying! Information overload n all that! personally I want when fully set up i.e. when my bigger desk comes. To take advantage of screen space so as to not need to flick between pages etc. its there right when i need it no need to "alt tab" or move my mouse away from the ladder in the middle of trading! Having said that what ever works best for you is what people should go with! Also I only meant to get the Quad card if it was cheap enough as it then leaves room for scalability at a later date, without the need to add another card, if he so desires.
                  Also how did you get on on his course??
                  Yeah.. but the Apple monitor he just has all his skype stuff etc and his sling box for the TV so its really not displaying any trading graphs. the laptop he doesnt use anymore as he uses the mac for the slingbox so in reality he has 2 monitors and a pseudo TV screen with the mac which is similar to me. he uses VPS also with Bet Devil, he has ladders plus graphs, he only uses this to see what money is being matched in the market he has the bookies prices in a small window at the bottom and on the other monitor he has guardian and the Bet Devil market overview screen with first 3 or 4 horses graphed.
                  Last edited by Scotty_73; 7 March 2010, 08:15 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Has anyone here experienced blue screen that can be attributed to an inferior graphics card?
                    an inferior or problematic graphics card can be the "cause of blue screen".

                    I have a blue screen on my back-up pc with a 10 year old graphics card.
                    When da pc is turned on,
                    once every 20 days I have a blue screen stating that da problem is graphics card or driver.
                    I know it is both, but when it started it was from the card only.

                    After 3-4 restarts it works ok...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was told by PC World that i may need to upgrade my pc power supply if upgrading my video card,anybody got thoughts on this?

                      Regards

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Boo View Post
                        Has anyone here experienced blue screen that can be attributed to an inferior graphics card?

                        I'm currently using dual monitors through a 256 MB graphics card which I'm changing to a 512 MB card this week. This may not be the cause but my PC is at it's most vulnerable when viewing films e.t.c.
                        This may help:
                        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc750081.aspx

                        Regards

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good find attheraces. Much appreciated.
                          I often use big words that I don't fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you only have one conexion on your graphic card, but your card its powerful enough, you can try with these Grafic Xpansion Modules by MAtrox

                            http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

                            There are dual output and triple output

                            I havent tried it, so I cannot gie you feedback about them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I recently set up dual monitors for the first time. I bought a dual output grahics card (D-sub and DVI) off Ebay for just over a fiver. I'd already got a spare digital monitor, the other one's VGA. The graphics card was advertised as 128mb but it's only 64mb, but it works great. I then downloaded Ultramon and came across a working serial number for it . I didn't realise there are AGP cards and PCI cards, my PC only supports AGP. So you have to check before you buy. I believe that if you use a splitter on a single output card, you get the same display on each monitor.

                              I wouldn't want to go back to a single monitor now. I have TT on one and on the other I have Betfair, racing radio, the TT graph expanded to its full extent and other bits n bobs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X