Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi everyone , i have just joined and wanted to say what a good forum it is, i will be contributing as i go. nice to meet everyone

Comment

• Hey everyone,

New to the trading world, played a good amount of poker and bet sports a ton - now want to learn to trade. Spent a day or so reading the tradepedia before posting and now can't wait to get stuck in. Seems rather daunting at first mind, but will start with minimum stakes to keep the cost of education down

I mainly bet in play footy, usually the minor markets, so have some idea what's going on there and have some experience with horse racing too. I always kind of associated trading with in running, but all I keep reading is never let the race go in play! So I definitely have a lot to learn. I learnt a lot from forums with poker and hopefully will do the same and give back (when the time allows) here.

Would be great to get to know some of you better and chat, so PM or whatever.

Good luck

Comment

• Hi guys, glad to find a quality forum about the thing i enjoy doing. I hope you all had great winter holidays and a smooth passage into the new year. I'm looking forward to adding my two cents here and there

Comment

• Hi everyone.
          Quick intro.
          I'm Carl from Lisburn. Absolute beginner at this game but determined to invest the time and patience to make it profitable. How profitable, I'm not too sure but have set myself a, what I think is modest target, of being up £50 per day on average, within 3 months. In a position I can play/work 5 days a week at this and going to give it a real go.

Started on the training mode yesterday on the horses and I fully get the difference when real money is being risked. Plan to use January to familiarise myself with the software on training mode; develop a strategy I am comfortable with; recognise the "watchouts" and how to exit myself from a potential disaster and explore the possibilities of other sports.

Have watched/read the GT beginners stuff and the style suits me and several videos on Youtube and plan to take several days to root around the forum and blogs to try and lessen my stupid questions. But brace yourself for some stupid question but I absolutely won't mind being redirected by a link for my answers.

Made a loss yesterday in terms of my training balance (and that's why I am in training mode) but in terms of the experience of getting in and trading, it was almost a vertical learning curve. And the Brucie bonus was, I enjoyed it. The day went with lots of small wins (£2 to £8, probably averaging about £4), three big losses where the market "turned against me" and I really didn't know what to do (strategy, strategy, strategy) and one big win of over £60. As I'm sure you can guess that pleased me a lot and I called it a day at that point as I had lost concentration/focus. For the £60 profit, on the Channel 4 early morning show, someone said Balgarry likes to go out fast and Racing Post projected an SP of 7/1. It was trading at mid 9s 25 minutes from the off and I backed it. Closer to the start it came in a little but sure enough as the race started, it and 2 others set the pace. The price tumbled and I layed it at 7 something, 5 something and 4 something early in the race and hedged at my mighty (well for me mighty) £60+. I guess you can see I am proud of that one but do appreciate there is a thing called beginner's luck that could be clouding reality for me.

Anyway, I'm in now and looking forward to the journey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curlie028 View Post
            Anyway, I'm in now and looking forward to the journey.
            Good luck.

Comment

• Carl

Newbie myself but setting a target daily is probably not sensible. If you are setting a target be it daily, weekly etc. and you have not achieved you may make rash decisions. If there is no trade there is NO TRADE. Trade what you see not what you want to achieve if that makes sense. Good luck, Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by ingers View Post
                Carl

Newbie myself but setting a target daily is probably not sensible. If you are setting a target be it daily, weekly etc. and you have not achieved you may make rash decisions. If there is no trade there is NO TRADE. Trade what you see not what you want to achieve if that makes sense. Good luck, Mike
                Good advice. Not following this advice can turn a winning day into a losing day just before the end of a trading session. Looking at your profit and loss before the end of a session is also a bad idea, for the same reason.

(In my recurring newbie experience. )

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                  Good advice. Not following this advice can turn a winning day into a losing day just before the end of a trading session. Looking at your profit and loss before the end of a session is also a bad idea, for the same reason.

(In my recurring newbie experience. )
                  Cheers guys. Makes a lot of sense.
                  I spent 25 years in a world driven by targets.
                  Will feel strange not chasing a performance goal but completely get your advice and will follow it. *gulp*

Comment

• Hi i am new to the forum (but not to trading) but i use other software and not geeks toy, is that fine ??

Comment

• Originally posted by flampard View Post
                      Hi i am new to the forum (but not to trading) but i use other software and not geeks toy, is that fine ??
                      Sure, we don't mind what you use as long as you don't advertise it on here.

What's new in version 1.2

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                        Sure, we don't mind what you use as long as you don't advertise it on here.
                        ahh i see.

on occasions i might post a few screen shots of my trade and it will be in other softwares, will that be fine too?

Comment

• If you need to do screen shots, please use the Betfair website.

What's new in version 1.2

Comment

• Hi-Hi. Salty here...Just more of a occasional better but I like to do some research and look into things before making a bet, trying to make it not just a profit thing but also for the sake of fun, because just nailing it feels so good. So nice to meet you, hope to have fun around here, and pick up some stuff.

Comment

• Hi, i am Pedro from Portugal. Sporting CP ultra supporter. Good trades people !

Comment

• Hi folks. Big time lurker on this forum so about time I joined I reckon. Also a big fan of the software so kudos to Geek for creating it, and I mean that.

Don't want to bore anyone to death with my trading journey so just a few short words about myself. I'm from Croatia, huge football and Liverpool fan but no gambling background whatsoever. Randomly found out about Betfair 17 months ago (although it feels like 17 years ago) thanks to one of Caan Berry's videos and 12 excruciatingly long months later managed to hit the first level of PC. I actually went full time way before I hit PC because Croatia is a pretty cheap country to live in, to say the least. I also named my dog Caan so we are dead even as far as I'm concerned heh.

The majority of my trading is on football but I guess I'm a bit of a jack of all trades (excuse the pun) because I also dabble in horses, tennis, cricket and a few other sports when they're liquid enough, although my weird trading style doesn't really have anything to do with sport itself. I kinda think that football traders in general heavily lag behind tennis and horse traders in the mechanical and technical departments, since every footy trader I meet just looks at the sports side of things and that's extremely disappointing to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X