This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temujin View Post
    Why not start manually? If you don't learn to do it manually, how are you going to trade out when the auto bets don't get matched? You will get burnt at some point, and it certainly isn't the most efficient way to bet. If you don't understand completely what is happening automatically, then it can't be of benefit to you long term. If you do understand and still choose to go that route then that is your call. Knowledge is power.
    Well i wanted to use the tools to prevent me taking risks. So even if its one tick, ive made something. If i did it manually i'd just worry about being greedy trying to get more ticks profit, the price get shot and id lose money.

I might try placing a back bet, then as soon as i am to get a tick profit lay it manually. Do you think manually getting out is also betting that using the stop loss feature?

Comment

Originally posted by united2000 View Post
      Well i wanted to use the tools to prevent me taking risks. So even if its one tick, ive made something. If i did it manually i'd just worry about being greedy trying to get more ticks profit, the price get shot and id lose money.

I might try placing a back bet, then as soon as i am to get a tick profit lay it manually. Do you think manually getting out is also betting that using the stop loss feature?
      The tools are not the failsafe option. They can easily screw up if the market moves quickly and a a bet that a tool, tick offset or stop loss, fails to place can cause all sorts of trouble. I recommend that nobody should ever use a stop loss but that is my personal view. You have to learn manually as Temujin has said otherwise you'll get yourself into a mess and will not be able to get out of it without minimising your losses.

Incidentally, you will be greedy. We all are and it's our biggest weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by custard View Post
        The tools are not the failsafe option. They can easily screw up if the market moves quickly and a a bet that a tool, tick offset or stop loss, fails to place can cause all sorts of trouble. I recommend that nobody should ever use a stop loss but that is my personal view. You have to learn manually as Temujin has said otherwise you'll get yourself into a mess and will not be able to get out of it without minimising your losses.

Incidentally, you will be greedy. We all are and it's our biggest weakness.
        Yeah i can see what you are saying now, if it moves more than 2 ticks in seconds the bets are not going to be placed.

Im getting really concerned about trading horsing before the off.
        I might do the football over and under 2.5 market to get me started using the Toy so i can get used to the ladder.

I've made £100 matched betting this week but even though i have 'made' that money and i said to myself, use the profits to trade with, if i lose £100 tomorrow horse trading im never going to want to do it again.

I will be betting £2 stakes so i cant see myself losing the whole £100 on a days racing...

Comment

My favourite market is Over 2.5. It's purely a personal choice but I only use the grid for this market. I only react to goals being scored, or not, depending on what happens.

Comment

My favourite market is Over 2.5. It's purely a personal choice but I only use the grid for this market. I only react to goals being scored, or not, depending on what happens.
            So what 'tips' would you suggest for this market.
            Im so confused about if i should back/lay over 2.5 or back/lay under 2.5.
            I go on one blog that states always lay over 2.5 then another says always back over 2.5.

Then i found a website called soccerstats which lists the previous meetings between teams and their current form, so using that data, i was thinking of deciding what to do.

So in current form when Man Utd play i will back over 2.5 before the game.
            But the back odds are already 1.86, are they to low to make profits on?

I cant log in and get the what if feature currently so cant see what happens to profit when the score is matched / layed.

Comment

Forget the blogs for now. You'll only end up confusing yourself. Read them when you have a better understanding of the basics.

My temperament is such that I only back Overs. I enjoy watching football and want to see goals scored. Again, this purely a personal choice. People make money by backing unders but I like my way of doing things.

A winner is a winner and I would be delighted if I had three goals or more and had backed at 1.86.

I reject statistics totally. Nobody can predict what is going to happen in a football match. Avoid listening to people who seem to have crystal balls and, under no circumstances, should you consider software which predicts prices as the game progresses.

Just use common sense. If Chelsea played a non-league team tomorrow, most would expect there to be an easy win for them and lots of goals. Use your knowledge of current form, team selections, etc. to get your own opinion as to what will happen and back accordingly.

Read the existing threads here. Most other forums are designed to sell you stuff so you can forget them until you have read most things here.

We discuss games here and , generally, have a laugh as well.

Comment

Forget the blogs for now. You'll only end up confusing yourself. Read them when you have a better understanding of the basics.

My temperament is such that I only back Overs. I enjoy watching football and want to see goals scored. Again, this purely a personal choice. People make money by backing unders but I like my way of doing things.

A winner is a winner and I would be delighted if I had three goals or more and had backed at 1.86.

I reject statistics totally. Nobody can predict what is going to happen in a football match. Avoid listening to people who seem to have crystal balls and, under no circumstances, should you consider software which predicts prices as the game progresses.

Just use common sense. If Chelsea played a non-league team tomorrow, most would expect there to be an easy win for them and lots of goals. Use your knowledge of current form, team selections, etc. to get your own opinion as to what will happen and back accordingly.

Read the existing threads here. Most other forums are designed to sell you stuff so you can forget them until you have read most things here.

We discuss games here and , generally, have a laugh as well.
                I want goals as well, im just thinking if i back major sides or teams in excellent form i should have a chance. I support Man Utd, but i have noticed the game is on EPSN so i will have to internet it, which means massive delay.

I wasnt going to use software, just look at the stats website for previous form, ie how many goals has the team scored in the last five games.

Would you ever 'risk' not laying a bet?
                Say if you backed Man United for overs 2.5 and they were 2-0 at half time, would you not lay the bet and risk them scoring another so you have won your stake?

You might not want to share this, but how much do you stake per bet? I was thinking of starting at £100 but not to sure.

Comment

My usual bet is £40 but I am prepared to increase this as the game progresses if I feel that there will be goals. I almost always watch the game on TV so delay is not important for me. Everything I do is determined by my own feelings of the game at a given moment and I cannot advise you about what you should do.

If a goal is scored very early I sometimes lay immediately and take a profit. I might re-enter the market later. My trading gives me a lot of entertainment and winning money is of secondary importance but it is nice to win. As things stand now, my hobby hasn't cost me any money since March and I have made a profit. Not anywhere near the big kids here, but good enough for me.

I would probably win more money if I was more selective in my bets. I almost certainly do too many. Also, I can get carried away after a few wins and overstake my next bets. I find it impossible to watch a football match without having an interest in it but I try my best to make sensible bets whenever possible. I am only familiar with football, rugby, both League and Union, and horseracing. I am completely useless at tennis, cricket and most other sports

Comment

My usual bet is £40 but I am prepared to increase this as the game progresses if I feel that there will be goals. I almost always watch the game on TV so delay is not important for me. Everything I do is determined by my own feelings of the game at a given moment and I cannot advise you about what you should do.

If a goal is scored very early I sometimes lay immediately and take a profit. I might re-enter the market later. My trading gives me a lot of entertainment and winning money is of secondary importance but it is nice to win. As things stand now, my hobby hasn't cost me any money since March and I have made a profit. Not anywhere near the big kids here, but good enough for me.

I would probably win more money if I was more selective in my bets. I almost certainly do too many. Also, I can get carried away after a few wins and overstake my next bets. I find it impossible to watch a football match without having an interest in it but I try my best to make sensible bets whenever possible. I am only familiar with football, rugby, both League and Union, and horseracing. I am completely useless at tennis, cricket and most other sports
                    I really want to get home so i can see the profits per stake ammount on Betfair.
                    Really confident of United tomorrow but they are away.. still might punt £100 on it.
                    Plus bet on a team playing at 3pm.

If i can make £20 a day that would be decent alongside my matched betting and arbing profits.

Its a good idea to lay when a goal is scored incase it ends 1-0 and by half time the odds have gone against you.

Thanks for your help mate, i know how annoying noob questions can be.

Comment

Don't use £100 stakes. Much too high for you at this stage of your learning.

Comment

So maybe I know a bit more than I thought but I'm still stuck on the basics I think.

So the general thing a trader does is look to green up? Back big and lay it off when the price drops? Or lay small and wait for price to move out? Is there any other techniques.

Another thing I'm wondering is about closing out bad trades, forget about stop losses etc I'm talking about the actual process itself. Is laying off a bad back or backing a bad lay the only way to close out? So say hypotetically I back a nil all draw or under 1.5 and a goal is scored before I green up could I Dutch to take the over round if that % loss is less than a lay would get me? I hope I've explained that right..

Btw thanks for the replies guys, I'm just trying to get my head around the core abilities needed to trade either manually or with software if u get me. What I have picked up is basically pick a sport that u have good or great knowledge of then use this knowledge and whatever other sources you see fit to pick out what you think will be good 'movers' and trade em.

I just think the above sounds to simple, so much can go wrong that you need to have backup plans for your backup plans right? But what are these backup plans lol.

Lastly on BR ( bank roll ) what's a tick in % of ur roll? And what roi does a good to great trader aim for / make?

Probably more weird questions to follow

Comment

Don't use £100 stakes. Much too high for you at this stage of your learning.
                          Ok mate cheers, will start off with £50 then on Porto Vs Benfica tonight.

Comment

First lesson i learnt about trading football was wait until the start of the game before betting.

I bet on the over 2.5 market about 4 hours before the game and got 1.88 back.
                            Before the game started it was upto 2.04, massive profit loss already before the game had even started.
                            This made me think, even if there is a goal, the lay odds wont go below my 1.88 i backed at.

Right after the 2nd half kick off it went to 1-1 and the odds went to 1.43 lay where i could of taken a profit of £8.97 according to the cash out button.

Then 4 minutes later, while i was typing this in Notepad, Porto score making it 2-1, so in 5 minutes (excluding HT) it has changed from a £10 loss to a £25 win, get in.

I thought this was getting to be a very good game, so waited and waited and waited until the back 3.5 was at odds evens 2.

I placed £15 at this price. Benfica equalised at 82 minutes making me £15.

I felt greedy and the game was open. Over 4.5 was at odds 4.2 with only 5 minutes to go.
                            I was spamming refresh watching the price go upto 5 with 2 minutes to go with a Porto corner... i was so tempted to bet, so tempted.

I dont know why, but i didn't bet and i was glad, it ended 2-2.

So to summarise i bet £30 back of 1.88 for over 2.5 goals market, this won and i won £26.40.
                            I then bet £15 back of odds 2 for over 4.5 goals market, this won and i won £15.

So overall a profit of £41.40, then refreshed and noticed £2.07 was taken commission so i won £39.33 overall.

I hope this to continue to tomorrow, i will try to bet on two games and see how i get on.
                            Thanks for everyone for your help, maybe one day i can get onto trading horses!

Comment

This is a great forum on sports betting

I never know there is so much into sports betting, always thinking it is a hit or miss affair. I am into trading the financial markets using mathematical proven models, where the odds are winning are good for any diligent traders or wannabe traders.

Comment

Pls what do these terms mean?

Please i'll like to know what these terms mean and how they affect betfair trading and the use of the Geeks toy.
                                1) Weight of money

2) Volume

3) ticks

Comment

Working...
                                X