Thread: Memory consumption when using Live Video

Default Memory consumption when using Live Video

Hi, I don't know if I only started noticing it recently or it has been going on for a while, but memory consumption of the Toy starts from 100MB when I start trading and goes up to 700MB after roughly 2.5 hours of trading. Is it normal behavior? Because of the above, ladders seem to work slower and trading becomes more difficult. I would appreciate some help.
    My OS is Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, CPU i7-2630QM @2GHz
    Btw. I already updated to the latest version.

Thanked 7,703 Times in 2,130 Posts

1.2g should use a lot less memory than its predecessors.

What kind of memory size is 1.2g reaching currently?

Hi Geek,
    I've been observing this for the last few days. Saturday was the first time I noticed it, as it was quite busy and the memory went up to 700MB. I read in release notes to version 1.2g that there was some memory leak in the past which now should have been fixed, so this was the trigger to check memory. As soon as I noticed it (about 2.5 hours of trading, I restarted the Toy, also because the numbers on the ladders were moving noticeably slower).

This week, with not much racing, memory consumption reaches 250MB after about 1 hour, then I switch the Toy off and on back again. After restart it takes around 95MB.

I do not use anything but the ladders, basic bar chart (the one that was there since version 1.0) and bf graphs , very simple setup. No charting, no IR interface etc.

Also, I don't know if this is ok (I supose it is), as soon as I open the ladders, CPU usage for The Toy goes to about 3% and stays between 3-4% during trading.

To be honest, since about april, I started noticing weird things ... i.e. sometimes, when there is a rapid price change on few horses, the Toy freezes for a second or 2. This does not happen very often, usually at the end of a race.

I formatted my laptop and installed clean windows. I even started switching everything off, so there is no loose process taking up resources, but with such CPU I did not thing there will be any sort of problems.

In my opinion it looks, as if at some moments, the amount of data coming from betfair is so large that my laptop needs some time to process it. Is it possible due to bf api upgrades, so they are now serving more data faster than in the past?

Btw, maybe my API settings are wrong?
    My current setup is:

Bets: 250ms, mpc -3
    Prices: 200ms, mpc-3
    complete prices: 500ms, mpc1
    traded volume: 1000ms, mpc 1
    external bets: 10000ms, mpc1
    account funds: 5000ms, mpc1

From today's trading: within less than an hour, got above 300MB

Anything under 500MB should be fine, as AGT does hold a lot of data in memory for the charts etc.

If it exceeds 500MB at a future point let me know & we will do some memory leak tests using your specific settings.

well, it does get that easily after 2-3 hours of trading, especially on days when there are more than 3 meetings. I just switch the Toy off/on every 1 hour as soon as it gets to 250MB.
    There was once a great initiative releasing version 1.1 with no advanced charting (which as you mentioned, consumes most of memory). This could potentially solve the problem.

But if this is not possible, I will have to stick to a temporary solution (reseting the toy) which is not perfect, but if no one else is having similar issues I dont want you to spend time only to solve mine, unless this could benefit more GT users. On the other hand I wish I stayed being happy user of GT too

OK we tracked this down to the Betfair video control.

Basically the embedded IE browser is what is using the memory. Closing the window periodically will release the memory so I have moved this to known issues & workarounds.