Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much of your bank do you risk?

Default How much of your bank do you risk?

Hey guys. We all know about Betfair's pathetic API performance recently and this leaves us open to large losses if we are in the market at the time of an outage. With this in mind, how much of your total bank are you risking per trade? i.e. 5%, 10% etc.

Thanked 1,327 Times in 723 Posts

25% of a small account. Plus I can make it back in a week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowninja For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (9th June 2011)
    Director of Automated Solutions 1/4 of a millionaire fund's Avatar

I guess alot depends on what you consider your bank to be, I'll usually only be exposed to 25% of my balance but do sometimes go to 40%. My main reasoning for 25% is so I won't have to top up the account if things go tits up. But I wouldn't consider my balance to be my bank so could always call upon more money if needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1/4 of a millionaire fund For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (9th June 2011)

5% for me. I trade exclusively on soccer at the moment so a goal can mean anything from a 30% loss to 100% loss of stake depending on the market so I like to keep risk at a manageable level.

Also, I haven't been doing this for that long so I personally believe it has helped my discipline keeping to 5% and seeing the value of that percentage grow as my bank grows. Bounding in early in the learning process with 25% of my bank in a soccer market could have been a catastrophe.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr beard For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (9th June 2011), shadowninja (10th June 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire Fund View Post
    I guess alot depends on what you consider your bank to be, I'll usually only be exposed to 25% of my balance but do sometimes go to 40%. My main reasoning for 25% is so I won't have to top up the account if things go tits up. But I wouldn't consider my balance to be my bank so could always call upon more money if needed.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out! What is my bank? The amount in my Betfair account or my overall trading fund/winnings which incidentally don't exist yet! What's the best way to go about building my bank?

For me, my bank is he total money that I could call upon to bet with.

If this money ever started to dwindle I probably wouldn't wait until it was all gone and only about 30% of it is tied up in betting accounts.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westerner For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (9th June 2011), shadowninja (10th June 2011)
    Director of Automated Solutions 1/4 of a millionaire fund's Avatar

Your bank should really be whatever you've set aside for betting and can afford to lose not neccessarily what's in your account. As for building up a bank if you do things properly that'll build itself thru winning. Just start small and learn how to trade before worrying about banks, it;s the money management that counts rather than the size of your bank.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1/4 of a millionaire fund For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (9th June 2011), kawasaki (9th June 2011)

During busy day I`m exposed 100% of my bank.I just can`t afford not entry market because the betfair can go down.It`s can cost me money in long term.I use max 5% of bankroll per market.Today I was trading 3 footbal matches on 3 markets each.That`s was 45% of my bankroll exposed.My stop is 3 market per match.I trade only in pre KO fotball.

Australian Cultural Attaché
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 610 Posts

Exactly. My bankroll is basically every cent I have to my name. I would happily tie all that up in the right trade, but obviously wouldn't enter it all to start a trade off.
    My BF trades use a liability of around 4% of my total bankroll, but when I started out I was using 20-25% on opening a trade simply because I didn't have as much money.
    There is always an opportunity to tie up money in a trade, so I don't see why I shouldn't make available every cent I can scrounge up for a trade. The bankroll I have now (well, a little under it at the moment) is more than I have been able to utilise in 1 trade though, so I think it is at a nice level.

Bankroll means different things to different people. I don't understand why having idle money is better than having money to trade with, meaning that if you are making money trading, your bankroll should be growing, and as such using a smaller % of it with each passing trade.
    At any 1 time every cent I have is tied up in either betting accounts, or is available to be put straight into my account to utilise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Temujin For This Useful Post:
    Insibibious (10th June 2011)
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 723 Posts

As it stands, I won't risk the final £50 of my account... which is my original deposit. It's come close but if I am back to £50, it's the best indication that I haven't a clue and have been very lucky so far. (Balance is currently £120.19; profit built over hundreds of trades rather than one lucky punt. I'm pleased with my progress so far but I'm no Keefter!!!)

My initial stake is based on the liability. Usually I use 35% of my bank for trade (I decide - I will trade with X bank, i'm excluding the winings), sometimes higher.
    The odds of succes dramaticly improve with each attempt

I currently have only a relatively small bank and was using virtually 100% of it on trading the Aussie races. I lost about 90%+ of it in one trade, not because of the API, but because I committed the traders cardinal sin of not accepting the early loss.

The race was just about to go in running when I put a back bet on the 3rd fav which was matched but the odds kept going up instead of down and could of reded up (if that's the term) for a small loss but I thought I was right and waited for the odds to come back down. They didn't, the race went in running, and with hardly any liquidity couldn't get matched. I finally got matched much much higher for what would have been a 33% loss if I had of hedged but I didn't have time. In the end the horse frickin won and if I hadn't off placed the lay bet would of won a bloody fortune.

It's much easier to catch up if you lose 5%, 10%, 20% of your bank than it is to make up 90% of your bank.

Green up if you want to but DEFINITELY RED UP and don't think your right and the market isn't (you'd think I should know this by now having traded on and off for well over 2 years but sometimes trying to force the issue makes you do stupid things).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ocho For This Useful Post:
    shadowninja (12th June 2011)
    Veteran

can you only set bank % from the ladder interface, as on the steaking and tools when useng the grid you cant see the back % option? am i doing something wrong?

I dont mind, I will lay 10% of my bank @11's for a tick, on the whole betfair is pretty stable, but as my bank roll grows I am decreasing it by not increase my stakes inline with bank growth, so that kind says I'm risking more than I should be, time to re-evaluate

Veteran

you only lay @ 11's? that all you do?

No that was just an example, I tend to set my stakes at 10% of my bank, therefore I can lay at odds up to 11, please don't think I have invented a system where you lay at 11's

Quote Originally Posted by Groston View Post
    Considering the conditions I tend to risk up to 10% if the conditions are not in my favor but 50% if the conditions are favorable.
    You are betting from the USA - itsn't that forbiden for you ? I will tell the federals Kidding - just tell your friends to use betfair too ! You have no idea how I dream the Federals to allow Betfair in USA!!!!
    The odds of succes dramaticly improve with each attempt

Australian Cultural Attaché
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Groston View Post
    Considering the conditions I tend to risk up to 10% if the conditions are not in my favor but 50% if the conditions are favorable.
    Not wanting to be a know-it-all, but why would you be entering any trade when you have found conditions to be against you?

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Temujin For This Useful Post:
    custard (15th June 2011), LuckyYou (15th June 2011), PC0845 (15th June 2011), rockaren (15th June 2011), The Ocho (15th June 2011)
    Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Bankroll means different things to different people. I don't understand why having idle money is better than having money to trade with, meaning that if you are making money trading, your bankroll should be growing,
    This is a question i tried to raise on this forum when i joned recently and found this thread, A bankroll as i understand it (quote me if am wrong) is a amount of money that can afford to be lost in a worst case senario, (ie risk tolerence) The risk tolerence we take as traders (not as gamblers) is a certain percentage. That percentage is our loss or gain per trade. 2% is what most traders use. The reason you have idle funds incorporated in a bankroll is to withstand drawdowns, ie 2% risk red up or closed trade position (and selection wins) you can have this happen to you 50 times before you go broke. You have to be very crap at trading for this to happen, i dont even think a newbbie could do that. If you have a great trading edge IMHO you should still never leave yourself fully exposed. If one uses all of his/her Capital for one trade what of the great Betfair outage, it can happen at any time. I use 30% with a five tick stop loss which losses me 1% of my starting capital, 10 tick stop will lose me 2%, but i am disciplined to get ot at 5 ticks against me

I risk my 1,2,3 days profit. If betfair down or my computer down, I can return my money very quickly. I trade horse racing.