Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Professionalo trader

Novice

Default Professionalo trader

good morning, i try to entrer in contact with a seriuos trader on betfair, to can ask some question? some good trader can contact me?
    thank you very much

What do you want to know? We’re all friends here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eggman For This Useful Post:
    ciarrim (3rd May 2011)
    Novice

thank you very much, is a good thing all friend, good
    i want ti learn scalp or trading on ladder. i know there are person who gain good with trading. i am trader on stocks and futures (not forex). i wolud be begin also trader on bf. thank you

Well, I scalp in running markets on Betfair (when it’s up and running!). There are many similarities to trading on the stock market and trading on Betfair, but, for in running, the market is reacting to actual events occurring instead of stock market moves that may be for no discernible reason at all.

Spend time watching the markets with the ladder view. There may be patterns that occur and you can identify. Formulate a strategy based on your observations and test it using minimal stakes. Identify problems, mistakes, opportunities and react to them and change if you need to, or persevere if your strategy is good but your implementation is poor.

Start small and build slowly. Don’t risk too much. If you’re unsuccessful, stop or reduce your stakes. Try to preserve your capital as much as you can during the learning process.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eggman For This Useful Post:
    ciarrim (3rd May 2011)
    Novice

thank you
    yes i begin with few money ok, i can observe and ok
    but
    i dont know dinamic of quote moviment, i must learn how quote go up or down, after i can observe and trade
    you can help me? excuse me for my poor english

Yes, you must learn how to observe how the market moves. For me, there are particular circumstances that I look for in running for the different sports that I trade. I am a market watcher, so I’ve gained experience through years of watching the markets and how they move.

As far as helping, what sports are you interested in? I primarily trade horses, tennis and cricket, but what I do differs for each sport. And I trade in running. A lot of users concentrate on and trade pre-play horse racing, so, if that’s your interest, I’m sure there are people who’d be able to help you out. Or have a look on this forum, as there is a lot of useful information already on here to help you get started.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eggman For This Useful Post:
    ciarrim (3rd May 2011)
    Novice

i am at begin, tell me what i can watch, and what must to observe in ladder movement, and i follow instructions. thank you

Have a look at Tradepedia, put together by Knight Rider, as there is a lot of useful information on trading in general.

http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1613

Novice

hello escuse me for disturb. to can know the principal rule where i can see? example: in ladder i clik on the left blue at 5.50. after if i click on the right rose at 5.55 i have a gain or a loss? i want begin from here. thank you

just watch the videos, on this forum.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thebarron For This Useful Post:
    ciarrim (3rd May 2011)
    Novice

tnak you very much, you can provide me some link?

Novice

Hi eggman,i read your conversation with another guy there.you said that you trade horse racing in-running.That what im trying to do and study lately.I try to go for 2 4 6 ticks trade on horse racing (on 2m up races),when go in-play.i try to do this with 1,2 or even 3 horses,in the first 2 minutes and than hedge.At the moment i do this with small stakes(until now i did in between 6-50p/race).Right now i try to back first and than lay manual or with tick off set.As well i try to watch or listen the race online(william hill radio or equi8.com.)What do you think,do i go anywhere with this?I would appreciate your opinion.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciarrim View Post
    thank you very much, is a good thing all friend, good
    i want ti learn scalp or trading on ladder. i know there are person who gain good with trading. i am trader on stocks and futures (not forex). i wolud be begin also trader on bf. thank you
    btw there are also futures on Betfair. I mean for example "Winner of season" of any championship or top goalscorer of any championship. You can buy and sell and have profit before the end of season.
    Sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand me.

Quote Originally Posted by udo View Post
    Hi eggman,i read your conversation with another guy there.you said that you trade horse racing in-running.That what im trying to do and study lately.I try to go for 2 4 6 ticks trade on horse racing (on 2m up races),when go in-play.i try to do this with 1,2 or even 3 horses,in the first 2 minutes and than hedge.At the moment i do this with small stakes(until now i did in between 6-50p/race).Right now i try to back first and than lay manual or with tick off set.As well i try to watch or listen the race online(william hill radio or equi8.com.)What do you think,do i go anywhere with this?I would appreciate your opinion.Thanks
    Hi udo - yeah, I do something similar to that for all race lengths.

I don’t just back or lay first - it depends on what’s happening, and I don’t use tick offset.

You’re on the right lines, and I’ve done it for years, so it is possible to trade in running. You just need to be aware of the risks. By using such small stakes you are making it harder for yourself if you get the extra delay when the toy places the bets. Being able to react quickly and get the best price possible is important.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eggman For This Useful Post:
    Novice

Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    Hi udo - yeah, I do something similar to that for all race lengths.

I don’t just back or lay first - it depends on what’s happening, and I don’t use tick offset.

You’re on the right lines, and I’ve done it for years, so it is possible to trade in running. You just need to be aware of the risks. By using such small stakes you are making it harder for yourself if you get the extra delay when the toy places the bets. Being able to react quickly and get the best price possible is important.
    Hi eggman,
    Thank you for your quick reply and opinion.When you say that (depends on what´s happening)you mean you whatching the race and for example that a horse number 3 go first you back and try to lay?Or you´re not thouching the first horse?just asking...
    I prefer to do this without tick off set as well.I can follow everything better.
    Are you doing this on favorites only or on other horses as well?
    I did try to back on the end of the race at 1.30 more or less but need to be very quickly.I always click on the bottom part of the ladder on the horse who go first and than it will buy me where is the odds at that moment.(could be 1.15 or 1.45)
    I appreciate if you could help me a little....

Hi eggman,
    Thank you for your quick reply and opinion.When you say that (depends on what´s happening)you mean you whatching the race and for example that a horse number 3 go first you back and try to lay?Or you´re not thouching the first horse?just asking...
    I prefer to do this without tick off set as well.I can follow everything better.
    Are you doing this on favorites only or on other horses as well?
    I did try to back on the end of the race at 1.30 more or less but need to be very quickly.I always click on the bottom part of the ladder on the horse who go first and than it will buy me where is the odds at that moment.(could be 1.15 or 1.45)
    I appreciate if you could help me a little....
    When I say that depends on what’s happening, I actually mean what’s happening in the market, rather than watching the race. I try to be aware of where my bets are, the chances of them being matched and if they are matched, what that means in the context of the race and in my being able to trade out where I think I will be able to trade out.

I generally trade the favourite, but that’s only because of liquidity issues. If there is decent money on other horses, I will trade them too.

I try and not trade too close to the end of the race as it can get too volatile. There are plenty of opportunities in longer races. In sprints, there may be one trade (or none) and if I miss that I’ll sit back before it goes crazy and then move onto the next race. If you’re trading smaller amounts, the volatility may not be so much of an issue, but with larger amounts, it is.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    When I say that depends on what’s happening, I actually mean what’s happening in the market, rather than watching the race. I try to be aware of where my bets are, the chances of them being matched and if they are matched, what that means in the context of the race and in my being able to trade out where I think I will be able to trade out.

I generally trade the favourite, but that’s only because of liquidity issues. If there is decent money on other horses, I will trade them too.

I try and not trade too close to the end of the race as it can get too volatile. There are plenty of opportunities in longer races. In sprints, there may be one trade (or none) and if I miss that I’ll sit back before it goes crazy and then move onto the next race. If you’re trading smaller amounts, the volatility may not be so much of an issue, but with larger amounts, it is.
    Hi,thanks for your reply....
    actualy this is what i´m trying to do at the moment...on longer races and the begining of the race or first 2 minutes.
    just one question...on first part of your answer...(i don´t know anything about horse racing,i´m really interested in numbers)what´s happening on the market it is depends on what happening on the race,no?If that´s what you mean or you follow how other people try to put a bet?How do you know what the chances are to being your bets matched?It is because the odds moving around where your bets waiting or not?Where would you like to be trade out and why?Sorry if i make too many questions,i would like to learn this well...

(i don´t know anything about horse racing,i´m really interested in numbers)
    I also have no interest in horse racing.

what´s happening on the market it is depends on what happening on the race,no?
    Yes.

If that´s what you mean or you follow how other people try to put a bet?
    Yes to both, as I’m watching the market.

How do you know what the chances are to being your bets matched?
    That depends on what’s happening in the market. It is very important to consider the chances of your bets being matched and why they would be.

It is because the odds moving around where your bets waiting or not?
    In a sense, yes.

Where would you like to be trade out and why?
    Again, that depends on what’s happening in the market. It’s important not to just go for a certain number of ticks. Sometimes it may make sense to trade a few ticks, other times more.

Sorry if i make too many questions,i would like to learn this well...
    No problem.

Novice

Thumbs up

Thank you very much again!!!!

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,061 Posts

I have had a week of experimentation on markets that i don't normally trade such as tennis, formula 1 and today i have been looking at the in-running horse markets.

I was looking to see wether or not graphs would be of any use during a race and apply my knowledge, i used training mode for about 10 races and came out on top everytime, i started with £1000 bank and ended up with £1448.

i made a video in training mode which is here.

I then decided to use real money for the final few races with £5 stakes and here are the results:

I found it quite easy to get onto the right side of the trade using the methods that i use pre-race, of course there is a big downside if a horse falls over etc,

the upside is quite good though, for £5 stakes i cannot complain about the return!

I just felt that i needed a bit of a break from the norm so hence the dabble into pastures new,

more time in training mode might be in order or i may just open a second betfair account, claim the free £25 and see how far i can get with it!

So eggman, do you trade all year round in-running, to be more specific when the horses are clambering around trying to jump things in the rain, wind and snow, generally falling over a lot more?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to doubleback For This Useful Post:
    Caan Berry (10th May 2011)