Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: API issue, in-play tennis betting (courtside)

Director of Public Records Cran's Avatar
    Thanked 4,358 Times in 1,910 Posts

yes, I'm guessing they sell the information service, and the scouts themselves will have no involvement in that other than pressing the button on their PDA.

They may be placing bets as well as selling the data service, either way the same technology that gets the info from the scouts back to sportsdata could just as easily be sending bets to the Betfair API.

Interesting.

I wonder if it is possible to do this with any kind of PDA, or would it have to have some special functions?

I think the most difficult part would be getting someone to design software for the pda which can be triggered by button pressing (i.e. on the 2 buttons in either pocket as suggested by geek).

Getting an external device to trigger a bet on an iphone............have no idea how that would be done!

Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep searching, researching, and hoping I can get a bit of help along the way

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my thread

Sorry but I still have no idea what all this has to do with....>The Toy>Help ?

Sorry, the discussion may have veered slightly.

My initial question was about how I could increase the speed at which the prices are displayed on Geeks Toy.

I wonder if it is possible to do this with any kind of PDA, or would it have to have some special functions?
    http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/us...android-phone/

nigelbleddfa

I suspect that sophisticated combinations of devices using software are not the only ways to gain an advantage. By far the simplest way is to use a computer in the immediate vicinity of the event. It is somewhat naive to think that because computers should be banned from these places that they are not actually in use there. Where there is money to be made, regulations are not always followed to the letter of the law.

LFCBADBOY says he has lived in Thailand and I lived in Pattaya for a year. My experience there has made me accept that everything, including the impossible, is possible if one greases palms adequately.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
    kawasaki (12th February 2011), KOTBIIAJIbTO (13th February 2011)
    Director of Asia Pacific Operations rjmcgee's Avatar

A growing problem for these courtsiders is that there's far less money kept at "vulnerable prices" during the rallies than there used to be.

Normal traders/gamblers clearly have become more aware of the courtsider issue and are not leaving themselves open, I'd bet good money that the courtsiders aren't making anywhere near the coin they made in the past.

As more of these people break the rules at events just to compete for dwindling amounts of money, you wonder why they don't just invest in a shiny knife and mug the affluent tennis fans at night outside the grounds.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rjmcgee For This Useful Post:

@ nigel: I have lived in Thailand for over 5 years, so yes I most definitely understand your verdict that greasing takes place.

@ rjmcgee: You may have a point, but I would tend to disagree with your statement of "dwindling amounts". I do believe the tennis markets are at present more liquid than they have ever been, and with now over 3 million members and growing, this is unlikely to stop anytime soon.

The only people who may have moved away from Betfair are disgruntled professionals, who would have incurred the premium charge, leaving more "punters".

So really, I would say there is more chance of vulnerable money being about, and this is definitely echoed in my research of in-play events.

The only people who may have moved away from Betfair are disgruntled professionals, who would have incurred the premium charge, leaving more "punters".
    Why would anyone paying premium charge leave Betfair?

80% of a lot is much better than 100% of nothing...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cran For This Useful Post:
    KOTBIIAJIbTO (13th February 2011)

I've no idea,

Just from all the forums I read, so many people saying they left/ are leaving betfair because of the premium charge.

Maybe that was them just blowing air, not happy at betfairs decision to implement the charge (I know it was a long time ago now).

I have no objection to paying the 20% commission, for a tax-free income

Interesting read but I don’t get it.
    For you to be betting in-play Betfair must have a feed to the game. Therefore the ‘courtsider’ must be the camera, cant imagine a bunch of people sat fiddling with phones and such. Surely the guys that get the picture as it happens and before the satellite upload are ahead of the game and in a position to profit from it.
    Or do you suppose the film crews haven’t heard of betfair yet…

cant imagine a bunch of people sat fiddling with phones and such
    You don't need to fiddle with phones, you just need 2 buttons...

When player 1 scores you press button 1 when player 2 scores you press button 2... The program does the rest...

I think the people getting caught messing with phones aren't the ones making the money.

Australian Cultural Attaché
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    by when you are pressing the keys maybe...

so if you don't want to get caught do it 10 secs after the point is scored

Seriously though you need some sort of automated (and simple) press a button system wired up to a wireless device pre programmed with the betting logic like the geek suggested, as anything else would be too slow and/or detectable.

An alternative would be to rent an apartment with a view over the courts, but that would be less portable and more expensive.

By when you are pressing the keys? So the idea is to press the keys to type who scored the point as it happens, but not if you are betting?

Seriously, betting by phone is all touch screen, you touch the screen, your bet is placed. 2 touches of the screen, you are in and out. Home key, nobody would even know what you were doing.
    You want to back, you touch the screen where you would the mouse. Lay, do the same thing.

Doing this would be less conspicuous than typing every point.

But I do agree there are much better systems out there that will beat you to the punch. Not entirely sure what their systems would be like to even know what odds to bet, but whatever.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by rjmcgee View Post
    A growing problem for these courtsiders is that there's far less money kept at "vulnerable prices" during the rallies than there used to be.

Normal traders/gamblers clearly have become more aware of the courtsider issue and are not leaving themselves open, I'd bet good money that the courtsiders aren't making anywhere near the coin they made in the past.

As more of these people break the rules at events just to compete for dwindling amounts of money, you wonder why they don't just invest in a shiny knife and mug the affluent tennis fans at night outside the grounds.
    agree.why would anyone let the money in if he knows someone else has a big advantage over him?perhaps some new customers might get caught once or twice but those placing 1000s won't unless they're new and don't know what happens.the fact they have the money to bet means they win and they do so by staying away from these mug bets.so i'm fairly sure too they don't make the money they used to

then,there's the competition.it's not like it's free money.everywhere there's some money to be made there'll be competition and it will become very hard to make it.it's not easy,then...it's not easy making it playing poker or any other way,right?

i remember a game where there seemed to be no courtsiders as i was less than 1 sec. away from the fastest guys and,on occasions,got there the 1st.i only managed to win a tiny amount using 800 stakes throughout the whole match(50 euros a match or so).so yes,some money can be made but,again,there are other methods too,if you develop the skills for them

Novice

What do you think in Footy leagues that are not "supported" by betfair?

I'm saying leagues like argentinian(i'm from and living here), that the most money is not argentinian, is from gamblers around the globe, i saw a B nacional(division 2) goal in Public Tv, and then 5 or 6 secs later, the suspended market of betfair... and here you can go to the vips or palcos with your laptop, there it is wifi, it's price is 50000 for 5 years, for 20 people, like 500 usd for year, for 19 matches, 26 usd per match, here because of the theft you can´t go to the popular with the laptop, but in the plateas, it's ok.

I think if the local transmission is 5 or 6 secs behind betfair, i think you can get 5 or 10 secs more in the court.

Greets, Juan

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Why would anyone paying premium charge leave Betfair?

80% of a lot is much better than 100% of nothing...
    A thought process like this really annoys me......what about 70/30 or 60/40 - is it still okay?

Quote Originally Posted by westerner View Post
    A thought process like this really annoys me......what about 70/30 or 60/40 - is it still okay?
    I didn't say it's ok. It's not a case of 'is it ok'... it's just maths.

If there was an alternative then great, but there isn't so if you can make good money then you either pay PC or you don't use BF and find something else...

60/40 is what you pay if you work and pay taxes... PC is less than that.

I'm not in any way supporting PC, but it's there...

Quote Originally Posted by LFCBADBOY View Post
    Thanks for that info Cran.

Do you have any idea of what kind of/where I can get the kind of programmable hand-held device which you referred to in your message?

The company you were talking about, you said they start you on football. What would that be for? To back a goal before the market is suspended?
    I would guess its quite difficult with the 5 second delay for placing bets.

If you have any information on that Swiss company, I would really appreciate it, so I can try to work out what they are up to exactly!

You still considering following up on it?
    This is not a problem. Imagine yesterday between Chelsea - MU. You are on the stadium. You are among all these fans and you just carry out a little laptop/phone etc with you. Phone will be the best.
    You see MU score a goal. What you do ?! YOU ARE NOT BETTING ON MARKET OF Chelsea - MU. You are betting on this market: Barclays Premier League Winner 10/11 ( THIS MARKET IS NOT SUSPENDED - ANY ACTION IS ALLOWED ) - You can back MU or Lay Chelsea. After the price go high you can just close with a decent profit. After that - what you do ? Chelsea score a goal ? Imagine... Imagination - this is the most important here OFC you must be faster than the others - because you are not the only1 on the stadium. Good Luck - This is still not banned?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyYou For This Useful Post:
    juan_bp (2nd March 2011)
    Novice

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyYou View Post
    This is not a problem. Imagine yesterday between Chelsea - MU. You are on the stadium. You are among all these fans and you just carry out a little laptop/phone etc with you. Phone will be the best.
    You see MU score a goal. What you do ?! YOU ARE NOT BETTING ON MARKET OF Chelsea - MU. You are betting on this market: Barclays Premier League Winner 10/11 ( THIS MARKET IS NOT SUSPENDED - ANY ACTION IS ALLOWED ) - You can back MU or Lay Chelsea. After the price go high you can just close with a decent profit. After that - what you do ? Chelsea score a goal ? Imagine... Imagination - this is the most important here OFC you must be faster than the others - because you are not the only1 on the stadium. Good Luck - This is still not banned?
    Good one luckyYou, i was following your way of thought and when Rooney scores a goal, money for topgoalscorer, the problem with this is the liquidity, the people just don't want to bet on top goalscorer in the middle of the season.

And one more, that is less liquid is to this markets but it will be interesting is the market for one team vs other(position final in table)
    the name is season match bets

Greets

Virgin

Default Ola

Hey guys u want the proof ? i can show u how they make tones of euro per every day ...