Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks to find the rent money diary

Thanked 1,495 Times in 574 Posts

Default 2 weeks to find the rent money diary

Some people start a blog with the goal being to provide them with enough discipline to make enough pay for their dream wedding, pay off their mortgage for good or even buy a new porsche. Unfortunately my case is not quite so glamourous, thanks to an amazing combination of taking a couple of weeks off, crashing my car and the insurance being funny about paying for a replacement, every quaterly bill under the sun arriving within the space of a couple of days and rent being due at the begginning of next month, I now have until 1 november to come up with 2k, exclusively from trading! I've managed to smuggle 880 back into my account so that's all the bank I have to start with without the security flags stopping me depositing more (NEVER EVER WITHDRAW YOUR TRADING BANK IF YOU ARE TAKING A HOLIDAY, YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK IN THERE WITHOUT IT BEING DECLINED!)

I really need top discipline for this, so I'll be posting daily results here for 2 weeks - newbies should take notes as the stress levels will undoubtably reach boiling point at some time! As ever no miracle secrets ebooks are for sale and no salesman will visit your home! Anyone who doesn't know I've been trading professionally for more than a couple of years now, so please don't copy what you see, THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

some where - not sure exactly where though!

Smile Good luck!

Good Luck BazBaz I'm sure you'll do it!

All the best Baz!

Good luck Bazbaz

Web Strategy & Development Director jimrobo's Avatar

good luck mate!!

Thats one way to make you focus! Im asuming you are going to be doing everything including all the night stuff as well?

Novice

Thumbs up Chippy

Good Luck BazBaz,you'll do it and have some to spare

Cheers chaps.

Jimrobo, no way I wont be doing the evening races as well, would be counter productive for me. I might be tempted to do tomorrows if I get the house to myself (I just can't concentrate when people are around making noise!)

A decent enough start, even if I had to do all the irish races as well to get that total! It was difficult to get back into at the start, something I always find after a break. I'd forgotten just how manipulated the markets are in the short term! A lot of people have tried writing about spoofing and how to distinguish real money from fake money with certain rules, but in my experience the spoofers strategies are so complex and wide ranging that any descriptions I've seen of how they operate barely scratch the surface. I also had a pretty sticky API to contend with, but was pretty relaxed about it for a change, probably due to having a break.

In recent months I've been experimenting with a lot with different things, but for the next two weeks I'm just sticking to the tried and trusted which should see me through IF I'm disciplined enough and work hard enough! I started with 880 today, which goes to show you don't need a huge bank to make decent amounts, though some traders use an absolutely sh*t load, like today on some of the big races where you see £1000 plus get chucked in on the lay side at more than 10/1.

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,333 Posts

Director of European Operations Timstertoo's Avatar

Good luck Bazbaz! Good start too there mate!
    If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement I'd be unstoppable!

api was very wierd yesterday but for some reason it worked ok on the toy? Maybe betfair have shored up the newer calls with more network resources than the older calls?

up

Well I WAS doing pretty well, until I got caught by a couple of huge spikes late on that pretty much wiped out my days profit. In both cases I overstaked having got maybe too confident, though the annoying thing is that when I think about what I did now, really in both cases I did the right thing and most times would have ended with a profit. Thats one of the things about trading, the money coming into the market can be so random and unpredictable that at times you're just going to get burned for turning

Challenge total +£266.33

Director of Product Development & Quality Assurance Leonthefixer's Avatar

I got done on the last race probably in a similar style as you did. Did you not trade on Sunday?

No, my place was too noisy. If I remember correctly the last one was basically a match between two horses, I hate those kind of races! You see loads of bots trading between the two

Director of Product Development & Quality Assurance Leonthefixer's Avatar

Yeah it was a match between two and one was a Barney Curly horse which always means a crazy market especially as he had one go in earlier in the day.

I got done by the two big lays that came in both just after I backed taking the price with them. Can't win them all, sometimes these things just happen and you have to take the loss and wait for the next race. Shame it was the last race as it always leaves a bad taste in the mouth. But as you know it is part of the great game they call trading

Edit: woooo hoooo 200 posts up - what is my prize? 3 months free use of TT?

some where - not sure exactly where though!

Smile Bastards!!

Bad luck guys ! Keep on trekkin!!!
    good luck bazbaz

yeh my trading seems to be going pretty well at the moment. I spent the first hour and a bit messing around today and had internet problems. After I switched to my backup connection and sat down properly I did pretty well. I haven't a clue why but since I changed my OS a month ago my trading has really started going to the next level. I am positive the vista 64 I was using was somehow slowing BD and causing me all sorts of trading issues

i had a feckin nightmare today, first losing day in a while,

Keep it up baz

Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobo View Post
    I am positive the vista 64 I was using was somehow slowing BD and causing me all sorts of trading issues
    Well it's nice to see my ineptness to get TT working on 64bit so far has had at least one positive effect.

ha ha true! That was what sent me ober the edge as i wasn't 100% sure it was causing me a problem. Well, since I changed it I can't believe the effect its had!

I have no official data that proves it runs it slow and it could equally have been something like the virus checker or something that was sucking up resources but I know that since I got 64 I struggled to use it for the first month then when I forced myself to use it my trading went backwards for about 4 months and now I have changed it I have suddenly started moving forwards again

I couldn't get into my rythem today, 3 times I was interrupted by phone calls. From now on its going off the hook in the afternoon. I wasn't trading that well and frankly I as surprised to get over the 100 mark. Then I managed to let the second to last go in play, almost a carbon copy of yesterdays fiasco where I blow practically all my profits right at the end of the day!

I noticed there were some big gambles again today, commentators banging on about certain gambling yards, personally I've never taken this into account much. Does anyone else?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bazbaz For This Useful Post:
    luckynumberslevin (16th August 2012)