Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 147

Thread: A diary of learning

  1. #1
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default A diary of learning

    Hey all,

    Thought id do a diary for a month, updating almost every day if possible (work permitent) as im new to this game although very interested and think i could posses some of the good charachteristics that alot of these threads talk about in becoming a trader, along with that and a great desire to succeed we'll see how i get on.

    Ill post up my record each day along with what if anything i felt i learnt that day in the hope it will be a good exercise for me too to analyse my progress.

    My overall target for the month i do this (19th May - 19th June) i hope to make £30 profit using NO MORE than £5 per stake at a time! an ambitious goal i believe seeing ill only be trading horses pre-race and currently have about a week or so of proper pre-race horse trading.

    Chuck

    19th....

    Horse Racing: £2.98 | Tote: | Total P&L: £2.98

    Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
    Horse Racing / Sedge 19th May : 2m5f Hcap Hrd 19-May-10 21:00 19-May-10 21:09 0.60
    Horse Racing / Worc 19th May : 2m NHF 19-May-10 20:50 19-May-10 21:00 0.13
    Horse Racing / Worc 19th May : 2m7f Hcap Chs 19-May-10 20:20 19-May-10 20:31 -0.01
    Horse Racing / Worc 19th May : 2m4f Hcap Hrd 19-May-10 19:50 19-May-10 20:02 0.49
    Horse Racing / Worc 19th May : 2m7f Beg Chs 19-May-10 18:50 19-May-10 18:58 0.01
    Horse Racing / Sedge 19th May : 2m1f Nov Hrd 19-May-10 18:30 19-May-10 18:41 0.23
    Horse Racing / Worc 19th May : 2m Nov Hrd 19-May-10 18:20 19-May-10 18:26 0.29
    Horse Racing / Good 19th May : 7f Mdn Stks 19-May-10 16:20 19-May-10 16:25 0.46
    Horse Racing / Ling 19th May : 6f Sell Stks 19-May-10 16:10 19-May-10 16:19 0.15
    Horse Racing / Ling 19th May : 1m2f Hcap 19-May-10 15:35 19-May-10 15:42 0.48
    Horse Racing / Good 19th May : 6f Mdn Stks 19-May-10 14:00 19-May-10 14:04 0.15

    Found today today little frustrating a few times i started off with a few ticks loss and so was fighting an uphill battle but being patient helped me through, still havent learnt to read all the signals but was important to almost completely ignore the WOM today.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caan Berry For This Useful Post:
    jibiko (21st May 2010), kawasaki (19th May 2010), taxbreaks (20th May 2010), TRADER68 (20th May 2010)
  3. #2
    Forum Addict neeeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    463
    Thanks: 22
    Thanked 131 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Thats good going with £5 stakes. Did you read Trading in the Zone?

  4. #3
    Forum Addict Drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    436
    Thanks: 338
    Thanked 360 Times in 288 Posts

    Default

    Good Start Chuck

    A sensible approach to trading I think. At this point all you should want to do is stay in the game and learn how the markets work.

    Good Luck

  5. #4
    Forum Addict TRADER68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    427
    Thanks: 977
    Thanked 316 Times in 242 Posts

    Post

    Best of luck Chuck look forward to updates.

  6. #5
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    i started reading it neeel but realised there are alot of sentences randomly missing :s i might but the book does look well worth the read, as it says i realise alot of its to do with state of mind. im gonna have a go on the evening meeting tonight so ill update after.

  7. #6
    Veteran johnsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    111
    Thanks: 23
    Thanked 53 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    and here's me thinking you didnt read books, you just stared them down and got the info you wanted

    welcome chuck

  8. #7
    Forum Addict neeeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    463
    Thanks: 22
    Thanked 131 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck536 View Post
    i started reading it neeel but realised there are alot of sentences randomly missing :s i might but the book does look well worth the read, as it says i realise alot of its to do with state of mind. im gonna have a go on the evening meeting tonight so ill update after.
    wierd, I read it and didnt notice any missing sentences

  9. #8
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    20th Results

    Horse Racing: -£0.88 | Tote: | Total P&L: -£0.88

    Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
    Horse Racing / Salis 20th May : 1m2f Class Stks 20-May-10 20:45 20-May-10 20:50 0.64
    Horse Racing / Sand 20th May : 1m1f Hcap 20-May-10 20:35 20-May-10 20:43 -0.46
    Horse Racing / Salis 20th May : 6f Mdn Stks 20-May-10 20:15 20-May-10 20:20 -0.88 <------ 8.15 race
    Horse Racing / Sand 20th May : 1m2f Mdn Stks 20-May-10 20:00 20-May-10 20:11 0.51
    Horse Racing / Salis 20th May : 1m4f Hcap 20-May-10 19:40 20-May-10 19:46 -0.74
    Horse Racing / Sand 20th May : 1m2f Hcap 20-May-10 19:25 20-May-10 19:30 0.00
    Horse Racing / Sand 20th May : 5f Mdn Stks 20-May-10 17:50 20-May-10 17:54 0.01
    Horse Racing / Hayd 20th May : 6f Mdn Stks 20-May-10 13:50 20-May-10 13:59 0.04

    Today was nowhere near as good as yesterday, i found the progress quite slow with the 'trends' chopping and changing alot with no clear favorite in most of the markets i traded, this made it alot more difficult. A couple of times i found that i was 60 - 70p up with a couple of minutes to go and one big unexpected move put me in the red.... 8.15 in particular, think it happened twice... it will be interesting to see if my profit threshold improves as tim goes on as i often struggle to get over 80 - 90p in the 10 - 20 mins before im trading.

    Chuck

    Yes odd neeel but still interesting in places where there are not bits missing! lol

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Caan Berry For This Useful Post:
    kawasaki (20th May 2010)
  11. #9
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Hey all,

    Have been deep in thought today about both yesterdays trading and my first day at this little challenge I’ve set myself, this is what I feel I’ve learnt……..

    Firstly I didn’t realize it yesterday and being new to trading didn’t see it as a problem although now I do… yesterday before I started trading a couple of things happened that I think had an impact on my physical state, on the way home my car broke down and overheated.. a minor problem although at the time it really stressed me out and continued to do some time after…. Also I’d had a physical day at work and was quite dehydrated… obviously affecting my concentration levels and judgment… so now I think about it I was onto a looser before id started!!, maybe I should of re-hydrated and relaxed a bit and maybe only traded a few races?!?!

    Secondly…. My mental state, was not ideal to trade… firstly because I was stressed about the car, also because I had the added strain of the hormonal pregnant missus adding ‘oh your not trading loads tonight are you?’ when really I wanted to, I think now if your mental state is really not correct then it could possibly best be left alone?! ….after all isn’t it strange how when you wasn’t planning to trade and you think oh ill just have a quick dabble, results are often of a good standard??

    Ok, situation assessed how did it go and where did I go wrong?? …. Firstly I looked at a couple of races as I always do before starting and there was no clear indication as to if the 1st 2nd and 3rd fav’s price would change and if so which way, after looking at graphs aswell no real clues and so… why did I get involved? Its worth noting these were my worst trades of the day and I should have left the market altogether or at very least watched for some time first. Also due to my lack of concentration I believe I found myself ‘chasing’ a wave and getting on to late… just in time for it to go the other way…. Lack of concentration for them mistakes… this is something I made sure I did not do on the first day and hence the more success I believe…. As it was more like trying to ‘force trades’ instead of waiting for the opportunities….. and that’s pretty much what I think was key to my problems were…. It’s worth noting too in the last race I made the most after starting off -50p… this is when id calmed down a little and my wife knew I was amost done…. Less pressure!!

    Anyone’s view would be appreciated!

    Chuck

  12. #10
    Web Strategy & Development Director jimrobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    875
    Thanks: 52
    Thanked 173 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    most traders are creachers of habit. They have a routine that they like to go through before they start trading. It might just be something simple like turning the computer on at the same time each day or it may be a whole list of things they like to do in a certain order at certain times. It helps us get focused and ready for trading. I find any disruption to my routine really impacts my ability to make good profits.

  13. #11
    Forum Addict TRADER68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    427
    Thanks: 977
    Thanked 316 Times in 242 Posts

    Post

    Its hard to find a balance with family life and trading.My wife still has a good laugh when i green up for 50p.At times i was grabbing every chance i had to trade.Staying up late trying to get a start for the next day by taking a price i felt sure would shorten in the morning.Then not sleeping properly for thinking about the trades i had made.I think you reach a point where you start to see grabbing every ten minutes that are free
    are probably better spent watching a market or reviewing your past trades.Its easy to burn out when you see things coming together but the learning never ends for anyone imo.And there will always be another market when you feel prepared.Dont let things get you down.
    Good luck

  14. #12
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Evening all...

    yes i know what ya mean trader68.. when your keen it can get a bit much, today was alot better for me as i didnt start untill i was ready and relaxed, made a few mistakes. Ill give it deeper thought dont think anything major to report today was just a case of experience... made a few daft mistakes although i find when im behind i focus more.. something i should focus on being more consistent.

    Results 21st

    Horse Racing: £1.41 | Tote: | Total P&L: £1.41

    Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
    Horse Racing / Hayd 21st May : 1m2f Hcap 21-May-10 20:30 21-May-10 20:36 0.28
    Horse Racing / Towc 21st May : 3m Hcap Chs 21-May-10 20:20 21-May-10 20:27 0.46
    Horse Racing / Muss 21st May : 5f Sell Stks 21-May-10 20:10 21-May-10 20:16 0.05
    Horse Racing / Hayd 21st May : 1m Hcap 21-May-10 20:00 21-May-10 20:05 0.11
    Horse Racing / Towc 21st May : 2m Hcap Hrd 21-May-10 19:50 21-May-10 20:00 0.12
    Horse Racing / Muss 21st May : 7f Hcap 21-May-10 19:40 21-May-10 19:45 -0.56
    Horse Racing / Hayd 21st May : 6f Class Stks 21-May-10 19:30 21-May-10 19:34 0.28
    Horse Racing / Towc 21st May : 2m3f Mdn Chs 21-May-10 19:20 21-May-10 19:31 0.56
    Horse Racing / Catt 21st May : 1m4f Hcap 21-May-10 16:20 21-May-10 16:28 0.14
    Horse Racing / Yarm 21st May : 1m Hcap 21-May-10 15:00 21-May-10 15:04 -0.20
    Horse Racing / Yarm 21st May : 6f Mdn Stks 21-May-10 14:00 21-May-10 14:05 0.17

    Chuck

  15. #13
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Only grabbed a little time here and there to trade today... think it done me some good though as i was more relaxed and didnt finish one market down.... also learnt the short priced favs not always worth trading much for couple reasons... if real short price each tick is minimal profit even if minimal loss (probably good to learn with) sometimes with my £5 stake only 3p profit! also favs can be little jumpy in price before the off and for minimal profit probably not worth 'risk'.

    Results 22nd

    Horse Racing: £0.84 | Tote: | Total P&L: £0.84

    Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
    Horse Racing / Ling 22nd May : 1m Mdn Stks 22-May-10 19:30 22-May-10 19:38 0.06
    Horse Racing / Newb 22nd May : 1m Hcap 22-May-10 19:05 22-May-10 19:10 0.19
    Horse Racing / York 22nd May : 5f Hcap 22-May-10 15:40 22-May-10 15:45 0.00
    Horse Racing / York 22nd May : 1m6f Listed 22-May-10 15:10 22-May-10 15:15 0.06
    Horse Racing / Hayd 22nd May : 5f Grp2 22-May-10 15:00 22-May-10 15:07 0.19
    Horse Racing / Chest 22nd May : 5f Hcap 22-May-10 14:55 22-May-10 15:02 0.10
    Horse Racing / Hayd 22nd May : 1m4f Hcap 22-May-10 14:00 22-May-10 14:05 0.24

    Chuck

  16. #14
    TraderTrader bazbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks: 687
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 574 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck536 View Post
    Hey all,

    Have been deep in thought today about both yesterdays trading and my first day at this little challenge I’ve set myself, this is what I feel I’ve learnt……..

    Firstly I didn’t realize it yesterday and being new to trading didn’t see it as a problem although now I do… yesterday before I started trading a couple of things happened that I think had an impact on my physical state, on the way home my car broke down and overheated.. a minor problem although at the time it really stressed me out and continued to do some time after…. Also I’d had a physical day at work and was quite dehydrated… obviously affecting my concentration levels and judgment… so now I think about it I was onto a looser before id started!!, maybe I should of re-hydrated and relaxed a bit and maybe only traded a few races?!?!

    Secondly…. My mental state, was not ideal to trade… firstly because I was stressed about the car, also because I had the added strain of the hormonal pregnant missus adding ‘oh your not trading loads tonight are you?’ when really I wanted to, I think now if your mental state is really not correct then it could possibly best be left alone?! ….after all isn’t it strange how when you wasn’t planning to trade and you think oh ill just have a quick dabble, results are often of a good standard??

    Ok, situation assessed how did it go and where did I go wrong?? …. Firstly I looked at a couple of races as I always do before starting and there was no clear indication as to if the 1st 2nd and 3rd fav’s price would change and if so which way, after looking at graphs aswell no real clues and so… why did I get involved? Its worth noting these were my worst trades of the day and I should have left the market altogether or at very least watched for some time first. Also due to my lack of concentration I believe I found myself ‘chasing’ a wave and getting on to late… just in time for it to go the other way…. Lack of concentration for them mistakes… this is something I made sure I did not do on the first day and hence the more success I believe…. As it was more like trying to ‘force trades’ instead of waiting for the opportunities….. and that’s pretty much what I think was key to my problems were…. It’s worth noting too in the last race I made the most after starting off -50p… this is when id calmed down a little and my wife knew I was amost done…. Less pressure!!

    Anyone’s view would be appreciated!

    Chuck
    It's good that already you realise how important being in the right physical / mental state is. Really to get the most out of this you have to be like an athlete in that you need to be pretty meticulous in your preperations and find ways that work for you to get you into the best mindset etc. Today I had a similar problem in that recently I had been travelling quite a bit and by the end of today it was really catching up with me and in the end I made a ridiculous mistake which pretty much cost me all of my days profits in one race. You're constantly having to fight this battle and the more self aware you are and the more you learn what affects you and how you can deal with that personally then the better. The trouble with trading is that its so competitive and unforgiving that you cant afford to be at even 90% or you'll lose money.

    Interesting read anyway good luck with it

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazbaz For This Useful Post:
    Krzysztof (25th June 2010), Portman (19th January 2011)
  18. #15
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for your reply bazbaz, i've read through your threads and found them of use... from what i've seen so far i think them two factors are more important than learning about the market alone, a case of mastering yourself before constant success on the markets maybe! .... Yourself trading full time... do you always keep to level stakes when trading?

  19. #16
    TraderTrader bazbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks: 687
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 574 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck536 View Post
    Thanks for your reply bazbaz, i've read through your threads and found them of use... from what i've seen so far i think them two factors are more important than learning about the market alone, a case of mastering yourself before constant success on the markets maybe! .... Yourself trading full time... do you always keep to level stakes when trading?
    I change my stakes to whatever I think will fit into the market and what I can get away with without sticking out like a sore thumb or leaving myself vulnerable. Also in more volatile markets I tend to stake more conservatively.

    You do have to learn about the markets though, never underestimate the importance of doing so. The more knowledge and insight you have the easier it will be and the more trades you'll win. Once you're winning consistantly then it makes it a lot lot easier on the mental side

  20. #17
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Lovely weather today and that with alchahol i've cut the day short.

    Results 23rd

    Horse Racing: £0.54 | Tote: | Total P&L: £0.54

    Horse Racing / Curr 23rd May : 1m2f Grp3 23-May-10 14:40 23-May-10 14:49 0.29
    Horse Racing / Bath 23rd May : 1m Hcap 23-May-10 14:35 23-May-10 14:47 0.11
    Horse Racing / Fake 23rd May : 2m7f Hcap Hrd 23-May-10 14:25 23-May-10 14:37 -0.08
    Horse Racing / Perth 23rd May : 2m4f Nov Hrd 23-May-10 14:15 23-May-10 14:23 0.03
    Horse Racing / Bath 23rd May : 6f Mdn Stks 23-May-10 14:05 23-May-10 14:17 0.19

    Chuck

  21. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    159
    Thanks: 1
    Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    Good going chuck with 5.00 pound stakes,well done mate.

  22. #19
    Mr Poolside Caan Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks: 695
    Thanked 767 Times in 417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mixed trader View Post
    Good going chuck with 5.00 pound stakes,well done mate.

    Is it though?? i know my first day was good but what sort of % should i be looking to turn over per race for £5 stake?... a ticks usually 6 - 14p so i tend to think i need to be hitting about £1 a race consistently before i can even consider changing stake is this wise of ambitious?

    Chuck

  23. #20
    Forum Addict TRADER68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    427
    Thanks: 977
    Thanked 316 Times in 242 Posts

    Post

    Your doing fine chuck.It depends how many times you put the £5 through,but dont overtrade for the sake of trying to hit £1 each race.If you average 10p a tick you need to be right 10 times out of 10 which wont happen a lot.Every race will be different on the amount of positions you make.Also if you look for bigger swings to increase profit on each trade you will probably lose more often than taking 1 tick.It is easier to increase stakes slightly and stick to 1 or 2 ticks rather than look for more with your £5.But stay where you are untill you are confident enough to do so.Good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Talented Mavericks Limited
26 Buttercup Close
Corby
Northants
England
NN18 8LB

UK Company # 04872848
UK VAT # 887366268

Facebook TwitterYouTube



Betfair    Betdaq    VISA  Mastercard  American Express  Dinners Club  Discover  PayPal  Skrill