Thread: Account closed by Betfair

Virgin

Default Account closed by Betfair

Hi - I'm a fairly new trader, in March I signed up to GT and spent 3/4 weeks using practice mode and then I began using £2 stakes for 6/7 weeks on horses, tennis and occasionally football. Yesterday I was happily trading then received an email from Betfair to say my account has been closed as my 'data usage represents that of a commercial user'. I access Betfair from my desktop PC, smart phone and occasionally my laptop. I phoned BF and was told by customer services they couldn't really help but they'd email me a link for me to submit a form to their security helpdesk. I submitted and explained to them that I am not a commercial/business user, never have and never will, I've done nothing wrong! Awaiting a reply. Has anyone else had this?

Forum Guru

Hi Matt.

Well my account was not blocked but it was restricted one time long time ago.

That is quite common particularly when you use training mode for a long time without a real money balance and/or matching any real bet. They want to prevent data collection with other intentions, that are not compliant with t&c.

It happened to me when I left automation on testing mode and went out on holidays. I opened a ticket, explained myself and requested the restrictions to be lifted.

They were kind enough to reply:
    Test / Simulation mode is ok to use in small doses to test a new strategy briefly but extensive usage should be avoided as it can lead to restrictions.
    Also I was asked to answer a few questions:
    • For what purpose do you intend to you use your account?
    • What sports and markets will you bet into?
    • Of the markets you read/view what percentage do you expect to place bets in?
    • What is your anticipated number of bets per market?
    • What is your anticipated monthly betting volume?
    • Do you work for a betting operator or any supplier to a betting operator, or have you in the past? If yes, please provide details.
    So it becomes clear what they expected as an answer and how to avoid future problems.

• have funds on the account
    • place bets on most of the markets from which you extensively get data (you can place a bet and trade out at the same price and often win/lose some, that would prevent automated flagging to occur)

Well, they lifted the account restriction and all is fine.

Hope all ends up well. Don't worry too much... for now :P

Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by RManPT View Post
    Hi Matt.

Well my account was not blocked but it was restricted one time long time ago.

That is quite common particularly when you use training mode for a long time without a real money balance and/or matching any real bet. They want to prevent data collection with other intentions, that are not compliant with t&c.

It happened to me when I left automation on testing mode and went out on holidays. I opened a ticket, explained myself and requested the restrictions to be lifted.

They were kind enough to reply:

Also I was asked to answer a few questions:

So it becomes clear what they expected as an answer and how to avoid future problems.

• have funds on the account
    • place bets on most of the markets from which you extensively get data (you can place a bet and trade out at the same price and often win/lose some, that would prevent automated flagging to occur)

Well, they lifted the account restriction and all is fine.

Hope all ends up well. Don't worry too much... for now :P
    Thanks for your reply :-) Betfair replied to me this morning asking me the same questions and I have replied but no further replies as yet...