Thread: Issue with hedging

Novice

Default Issue with hedging

I posted thisis newbies but no answer so thought I'd try here.

Hey,

So I've recently started trading and I feel like I must be leaving out one (probably glaringly obvious) step. I've looked through the forum and couldn't see anything that answered my question specifically. Any help for a noob would be greatly appreciated. This is what I'm doing:

-Getting both back and lay matched a tick or two apart using back and lay columns @ $5
    - I've also tried using the dedicated profit/loss column. I've also used the API.

In all cases this happens:

-Profit or loss goes unbolded green/red.
    -Shortly after, profit/loss re-bolds and payout value starts to move again. It's not locking it in.

If I watch it in betfair, shortly after greening up, geekstoy puts on another smaller bet. If I do the scalp in GT then switch screens to BF, I can use the cash out function, which it does. But then GT places another smaller bet, putting me back in the running and giving me the option to cash out in BF again (from my understanding). Once my profit's locked in, shouldn't it stay that way? Or am I doing something wrong?

As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly lost at this point. I've posted pics below to help describe what I mean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	2413
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	2414

Hi. Can you upload the pictures on imgur? The resolution is too small

Novice

Hey, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your help. Here's a link.

https://imgur.com/a/969eoeb

The resolution it's better now, but I still don't understand what is the issue. You have two pictures with two different races, it's not the same race in both of them.

Anyway, you will not always have " perfect hedge" on every market, it depends on what trades you make, what stakes you use etc. You will have small differences between runners, but overall the hedge it's done correctly, I have never had problems with it.

Only when you use dutching/ bookmaking it's not recommended to use hedge in play, you can lose big.

Novice

Yeah two different races but same problem but it's all good, I've had another look at what I was doing and had a newbie light bulb moment. I realised my bets are going in-play and I'm losing all my profit as a result. Even when I hedge out well and truly before the off.

Is there a simple way to stop this happening?

If you want same result on all runners after you hedge, I understand, but some times you will have very small differences between the runners, depends on the stakes you use I think.

..........Is there a simple way to stop this happening?
    If you hedge out before the race starts, GT should cancel by default all unmatched bets.

Maybe you changed the hedge options, and you have bets that remain in the market after the race starts. It should be "cancel bets then hedge" if you want your unmatched bets to be canceled when you hedge.

Also default bet persistence must be on "cancel" if you don't want your bets to be in the market after the race starts. Right click on the ladder and select "advanced betting"