Thread: Training Mode

Novice

Default Training Mode

Hi Mr. Geek.
    How long can the Training Mode be used for?
    I have heard that Betfair do not like anyone using it for an extended period.
    Apparently they are not making any money while customers are in Training Mode.
    Being a Newbie, I intend to be in it for at least 12 weeks, to complete a trading course I have just started.
    I would appreciate knowing in advance.
    Many thanks.

Betfair WILL give delayed data to people who use API products, but never place any bets.

They WILL also do this to people with no money in their betfair account.

While I cannot say how long of training mode will get you flagged for delayed data, I would guess 12 weeks will do it.

Trade with small stakes now and then.

Novice

Thanks, Mr. Other Geek.
    Will go "Live" once a week, with small stakes, to see if what I learned works.
    Am enjoying the journey.

Novice

Unfortunately I've got given delayed data after using the training mode for about 1 and a half week. I wasn't expecting this to happen. Honestly this should be highlighted in big red letters in the login window of Geeks Toy. I will try to resolve this by talking to Betfair support for some more (more precisely, the developer program department) on monday. No positive results so far.
    By the way, any help would be appreciated about what to do in this case. In final case I'll just create another account.

Novice

Hi Alchemist87,
    Am out of Training Mode now. Everything worked perfectly for me and I never had a problem.
    The Geek should have a lengthy discussion with Betfair to establish exactly what they would allow and set some rules and regulations as to what is allowed. This should then be added to the User Manual.
    All users should be able to operate in Training Mode, if they are aware of the limitations.
    Some might like to try out certain strategies before putting up any real money.
    I'm not sure if you can open another account with Betfair?
    I'm pretty sure you can't.
    I'm sure The Geek can clarify this.
    Enjoy!!

Novice

Is there a way to get rid of the delay restriction other than obtaining a data license which costs £299?

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist87 View Post
    Is there a way to get rid of the delay restriction other than obtaining a data license which costs £299?
    Have you tried placing a small bet with real money? If not, give that a try...

Novice

Yes I have tried that. I placed £1 £2 stakes and stakes below £1. Mostly below £1 because I didn't really finish my training. But I have contacted them, I had to answer to 6 questions, at that point it seemed that maybe I'll achieve something, and after that, their answer was that if I wish to trade, I'll need to continue with the delay in place, and that my bets will still be matched automatically at the best prices available due to best execution, so I guess it doesn't matter if I put stakes on or not, it will stay in place. I'll contact them again.

Virgin

I'll just create another account.

Novice

I contacted them again, and not surprisingly, all I got was silence, and I don't think that I'll get an answer. So I guess that means, that once they made a decision, and you don't like it, you just have to put up with it.
    One advice perhaps that I can give to those who get in this situation is, that when you contact them and they ask you what purpose you're going to use your account for, don't say that you're going to use it for trading.

Novice

I'm thinking about a data license. Would that help remove the restriction?
    If I would buy one, would I still be able to submit bets? Is an account with a data license something totally different?
    Or maybe I would just need to read into the laws, and find something, I guess it would take a long time, and there is no guarantee that I'll find something.

Novice

I forgot to say: the delay is variable between 60 to 180 seconds.