Thread: Using a VPS over a longer period of time?

Virgin

Default Using a VPS over a longer period of time?

Hello

As Betfair is banned in Spain, the only way to connect is via a VPS.

If I wanted to have a long holiday in Spain, say 2 / 3 months, how viable would it be to trade everyday via that VPS?

I'd be curious to see if any other traders use a VPS like the above or for longer and don't have any problems with Betfair i.e. them finding out you are trading from a banned location.

Many Thanks

UrbanHermit

Novice

I've been using exclusively a personal VPN running on a VPS for over 2 years now, in a banned country.
    If you make no mistakes, no problem.

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JcDenton View Post
    I've been using exclusively a personal VPN running on a VPS for over 2 years now, in a banned country.
    If you make no mistakes, no problem.
    Hello all.

I apologise for hijacking the thread but I have to ask JcDenton a couple of questions:

From a speed first and security second stand points which is best, running GT through a VPN server on a VPS or a RD (remote desktop)connection to a GT instance running on a VPS server? Did you test it (speed wise)? Why you chose one over the other?

I guess the first option is available both on a linux and Win based VPS and the second on a Win VPS. Which was your option?

Thanks in advance.

Rui Rodrigues

Forum Guru

btw, can you mention some of the common mistakes? I guess we need to make sure gt is logging in through the vpn. ty

Novice

RmanPT,

You can operate in two ways, it depends by your needs.

If you run exclusively automatic strategies with no manual input then you should run your bot directly on a Windows VPS located in an allowed country - let's say Ireland in our example.

It will benefit from the lowest network latency between the VPS itself and BF API server (Dublin located).
    This latency can be as low as 1 ms.

In this configuration you may not need a VPN at all. Indeed, you won't make any direct connection to BF. The bot will.
    And since the bot is running on that VPS, its IP address will be always identified as Irish.

If occasionally you need to access BF site (let's say to deposit) you will connect to the VPS through RDP, open Chrome or Firefox on the VPS itself and operate with it.

If you do manual trading then it's best to run GT - or you tool of choice - directly on your computer using a VPN to mask your IP.
    You will still need a VPS if you want to run a personal VPN server as I advice strongly, especially if you plan to use it long term.

You need an efficient and comfortable environment to work and your PC is way more powerful than any affordable VPS.
    Even the latency is not a key factor in this case. Indeed, you have to consider the latency between YOU and the VPS/VPN.
    Let's say you are in Portugal and the VPS/VPN in located in Ireland: the latency between the two locations may be 50 ms or even more.
    Add 1ms of latency between the VPS and BF API server, your total latency will be 51 ms - which is still good enough to operate efficiently.

So running GT on the VPS if you do manual trading makes no sense: you will still have a total latency of 51 ms and the software will run on a less powerful and remote system with all the issues involved: poor screen refresh rates, occasional skippy mouse pointer, a lower amount of memory, etc. etc.

After connecting to the VPN running on your VPS you can work and trade in a "trasparent mode".

You will do what you always did, all you have to remember is to connect to the VPN before starting your trading sessions.
    You can even watch the video streaming of the events you are trading.
    Try to watch it on a VPS: good luck with that!

If you choose the 2nd configuration and you want to have your own VPN server, I suggest to choose a Linux VPS because it is more efficient, less demanding and cheaper than a Windows VPS.

If you need professional help installing and configuring the VPS and the VPN server, you can ask me: I'm a computer engineer and I did the same thing for me and many others.

But trust me, you can do it yourself if you are willing to learn and patient enough.
    There are a lot of tutorials on the net.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JcDenton For This Useful Post:
    kn10 (12th May 2017), RManPT (8th May 2017)
    Forum Guru

Hi JcDenton.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

I'm still in process of changing my account details to an allowed country, have to find a way. Then, I'll take your help if needed, thanks. Meanwhile, could you PM me with info on your vps provider? (and if you have any pointers on how to get an Ireland based validated account I know it is quite hard in uk)

Kind regards,
    Rui

Novice

I've sent you a message with a pair of FREE tips

Virgin

JcDenton could you send me some tips too? I need some advise from someone with knowledge like you