PDA

View Full Version : unable to install

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 07:09 PM
have downloaded your toy after watching youtube vids looks good but, cant install it. it reckons "application has generated an exception that could not be handled process id=ox74(84), thread id=ox1738(5944)".

do not have any idea what all that means, any advice on how to cure/whats wrong with my machine etc.
rgds

The Geek
30th September 2009, 07:17 PM
Firstly, please try downloading it again. It may have got corrupted during download.

Also, can you please let me know your operating system.

Thanks

TG

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 07:57 PM
have re=downloaded twice (uninsalled and shredded original download), still same error message but with different numbers!

operating system is windows xp.

regards

The Joker
30th September 2009, 08:03 PM
have re=downloaded twice (uninsalled and shredded original download), still same error message but with different numbers!

operating system is windows xp.

regards

Don't use a download manager. It renamed mine to a .exe instead of .msi!!

The Geek
30th September 2009, 08:17 PM
Don't use a download manager. It renamed mine to a .exe instead of .msi!!

If that doesn't work. There is a link for one of the expired Alpha releases here.

http://geekstoy.com/Download/Alpha13.msi

It won't run when installed, but try installing it to see if it gets that far. If it does, I'll try another install build for you. If not, I'll try something else with you. { Won't be till tomorrow morning though. Been a long day.}

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 08:34 PM
many thanks. version13 installed (same message appears when i clicked the icon to run.
i really dont expect you to sort anything out for one person in the near future. you must have tons of things to sort out, so in your own good time geek. i am in no rush. really appreciate it though.

regards 2dwarfs

jimrobo
30th September 2009, 08:34 PM
you're not using xp 64 are you?

hendry
30th September 2009, 08:45 PM
Have you got the 3.5 framework installed on your computer?

If not, try this: Framework 3.5 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en)

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 09:03 PM
geek. shortly after my last post internet crashed and pc started running very slow. re-booted and a message appeared stating (words to the effect) a recently installed programe as changed a nvidia setting. nvidia as corrected the setting!

only thing i have installed lately is the toy version 14 and then version 13. i assume this means something to you.

once again in your own time, i am in no rush.

regards 2dwarfs.

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 09:04 PM
shergar. not used a download manager.

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 09:05 PM
you're not using xp 64 are you?

jimrobo, no 32

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Have you got the 3.5 framework installed on your computer?

If not, try this: Framework 3.5 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en)

hendry dont know what version of netframework. i wlll check tomorrow, cause now i am gonna go out and have a gallon of guinness:

The Geek
30th September 2009, 09:08 PM
geek. shortly after my last post internet crashed and pc started running very slow. re-booted and a message appeared stating (words to the effect) a recently installed programe as changed a nvidia setting. nvidia as corrected the setting!

only thing i have installed lately is the toy version 14 and then version 13. i assume this means something to you.

once again in your own time, i am in no rush.

regards 2dwarfs.

There is nothing in the app that should do that. Are you having any other kinds of errors with your PC other than with the toy?

twodwarfs
30th September 2009, 09:15 PM
There is nothing in the app that should do that. Are you having any other kinds of errors with your PC other than with the toy?

no problems i have noticed but yesterday i had an automatic download from microsoft, the security updates. cant remember exactly what was updated, i think there was a nvidia update in there as well.

tomorrow (hang over permitting) i will roll back to my last restore point which would be about this time last week. then try installing the toy and ignore any nvidia updates.

now i really must go and drink.

many thanks geek.

twodwarfs
1st October 2009, 11:32 AM
have rolled back to a restore point saturday week (bypassing latest nvidia update). have cleaned out registry. have checked and confirmed netframework as suggested by hendry. version is 3.5 sp1.
have downloaded the toy and installed. still the same.

geek i am in no rush so please do more important stuff i am sure your gonna have plenty of things occupying your time with a new app thats directly taking on the big two.

obviously there is something on my machine that aint right, so any suggestions/advice from anyone will be appreciated (and thanks for all who have already helped, appreciated).

please post any idea's when you have the time geek.

cheers 2dwarfs

Steve
1st October 2009, 12:13 PM
Hi.

I have had problems in the past with windows Nvidia update for a graphics card (9800GT). After searching the interweb for a solution I found that lots of other people had the same or similar problems but couldn't find a solution. In the end I installed a ATI graphics card which cured all.

Not suggesting you do the same as this happened a while ago and the driver update problem was well known then and may be fixed by now - or may not be your problem at all.

Also it may be other Nvidia chipsets on the motherboard which are causing the problem - in my search people were suffering with network card drivers too. I would suggest switchting off auto update, don't install the windows Nvidia updates, try installing older version of drivers available from Nvidia website. Have a look at Nvidias forum for similar problems\solutions.

Good Luck

twodwarfs
1st October 2009, 07:24 PM
steve.

tried your suggestion (upto a point). installed original drivers from disk that i made when first got the machine. still the same (have now replaced original with the one i uninstalled).

due to lack of time i will have to look into this at the weekend/next week.

thanks for suggestion, if you anymore please post i appreciate the time and effort.

regards 2dwarfs

hendry
2nd October 2009, 12:34 PM
Dont you have other message box showing when the error appear or more details?

Have you made the last windows update?

Are you sure your framework is corretly installed? Sometimes after some updates, the framework need to be reinstalled.

And just in case, is your computer a Compaq or HP?

twodwarfs
5th October 2009, 11:53 PM
Dont you have other message box showing when the error appear or more details?

Have you made the last windows update?

Are you sure your framework is corretly installed? Sometimes after some updates, the framework need to be reinstalled.

And just in case, is your computer a Compaq or HP?

thanks hendry, comp is a mesh. windows is up to date. have reloaded netframework.
as there are more pressing problems with betfair. i will wait until all things have been sorted out. i am sure something on my pc is at fault, and therefore would not be fair of me to post any further on this problem until things have quitend down. many thanks.