PDA

View Full Version : API Status

Mickey Pearce
18th September 2009, 02:46 PM
Today I have been getting lots of red numbers bottom right of API Status window

eg. 2-2918 and lots of variations of that kind

Is this my crappy internet connection or is it something i have done when putting the patch in this morning?
:eek:

jimrobo
18th September 2009, 02:50 PM
no I had exactly the same. Suggest we all email bdp@betfair.com otherwise they won't even look into it

The Geek
18th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Nothing to do with the patch. That will be caused by either the API playing up, or some issue between you & Betfair.

If you click on the help for that control it will explain what the numbers mean. In a nutshell, if the first number goes & stays over 3 then there are real issues with the API. Otherwise, it is just affecting occasional calls & shloulnd't impact you too much. {Although if you are getting a lot or reds, you may see an occasional delay in bet palcement.}

Mickey Pearce
18th September 2009, 03:02 PM
Nothing to do with the patch. That will be caused by either the API playing up, or some issue between you & Betfair.

If you click on the help for that control it will explain what the numbers mean. In a nutshell, if the first number goes & stays over 3 then there are real issues with the API. Otherwise, it is just affecting occasional calls & shloulnd't impact you too much. {Although if you are getting a lot or reds, you may see an occasional delay in bet palcement.}

Mainly 1's and 2's it seems to be fairly frequent though. Never noticed it for the time I have been using the toy. So hopefully it's not my broadband acting up again. I couldn't face going back to Talk Talk technical support. :eek:

jimrobo
18th September 2009, 03:24 PM
mine settled down now and seems to be ok

Mickey Pearce
18th September 2009, 03:29 PM
mine settled down now and seems to be ok

Yep mine too, but still the odd red flicker. ;)

The Geek
18th September 2009, 04:08 PM
no I had exactly the same. Suggest we all email bdp@betfair.com otherwise they won't even look into it

Just one thing about mailing bdp. Strictly speaking, bdp is there to support the vendors & paid API users. When the API does play up, you are supposed to complain to the vendors. Posting up that link for everyone to mail them doesn't do anyone any favours.

Hundreds of people sending them the same mail isn't going to get the issue addressed any quicker, and is just going to bog down the supprot team { who don't actually fix the issue itself} so that other important things aren't addressed as quickly.

At the moment there are only a few of us, but when the forum opens up & stuff like this happens, what I would suggest is that if I haven't already done so, just one person mails them on my behalf. State the issue, numbers affected & including a link to the thread on the forum. Post on the thread that you are doing so / have done so.

jimrobo
18th September 2009, 04:21 PM
true but if one person emails them they are less likely to do something that if everyone emails them! I have been given the bdp address at betfair by customer services lots of times. The times I have seen them do the most was when everyone was emailing in!

The Geek
18th September 2009, 04:27 PM
I deal with bdp quite often, and trust me they take every query seriously, and nothing has ever been ignored or not dealt with. If there are API issues, you can be sure that most of the vendors will have already mailed them, because most of the vendors will have been mailed themselves.

However bdp are just the front to the world, and don't actually fix the shit themselves.

jimrobo
18th September 2009, 04:46 PM
sure appreciate that! But the amount of premium charge I pay if there is something that is causing me not to make money I want to be complaining to someone who can do something about it.

The Geek
18th September 2009, 05:12 PM
They can't do anything about it other than tell the poor geek, who then works like a dog trying to fix it.

Next time you email them, I suggest you demand the mobile number of that poor geek. Then you can post that on the forum for everyone else to ring & shout at him, cause it's going to get fixed much quicker that way. { Not! }

Leonthefixer
18th September 2009, 05:33 PM
I have to agree with Jimrobo - When I have had issues in the past BDP have always asked me to contact them directly, likewise when I have contacted info@betfair.com or rang the helpdesk they have told me to get in touch with BDP.

So what I do is contact both the vendor and the BDP, I have always found Neil to be very good and he often commented in the past that they haven't heard form many other people so didn't think the problem was a general issue when in fact it was and people were contacting their vendors and writting on the forums but not letting BDP know.

I have never been asked by BDP not to get in touch with them and instead get in touch with the Vendor. I have to say I don't have much faith at times in the various vendors and their support when you don't go a response perhaps until the next day or so. By which time you have missed a days trading and therefore income.

As Jimrobo says, when you are paying thousands in Premium Charge you expect a level of service from Betfair as the issue is with Betfair and not the Vendor.

Just my thoughts :p

Leonthefixer
18th September 2009, 05:38 PM
I should add that I have always used the use of BDP responsibly when it is clear the issue is with Betfair and not my connection by running various tests of my own first. I would agree with the Geek that peopel shouldn't just start emailing in whenever they have a few slow responses and haven't ruled things out their end.

The Geek
18th September 2009, 05:44 PM
JR

It could be worse, you could be dealing with NTL support { Virgin media. New name, same quality.}, or even worse eBay. At least these guys do their best, and give you an answer in English that resembles the question you asked to boot. :D

jimrobo
18th September 2009, 05:55 PM
Agreed I know when it is a betfair problem and a problem at my end. I have 3 different routes to betfair and some routes that don't involve the main internet infrastructure so if there is a betfair problem I know straight away. If I had to rely on support forwarding my query I would be waiting a long time (thats not me having a go at you its just a fact!). Especially when I have a 3 hour window to make my entire income for the day. Each minute is pretty much vital!

Agreen NTL/VM can be a right pain in the backside but if you go through their newsgroups they aren't too bad. You get a response from the techs themselves who actually know what they are doing!

refer80
18th September 2009, 07:30 PM
Hi all,downloaded the toy alpha 13,double clicked on the toy icon on my desktop and a message displays saying "checking for data updates and that's all it does so cannot open , was using alpha 12 version fine and so at a loss any ideas.

The Geek
18th September 2009, 07:33 PM
How many times have you tried it? In thoery that window should disappear after 10 seconds max.

refer80
18th September 2009, 08:01 PM
A couple of times,it dissapears and the "want to play" box appears at the bottom of the screen but will not open

The Geek
18th September 2009, 08:06 PM
Right click on the want to play thing in the task bar. Select "Move" and then use one of your arrow keys & tell me if the window appears then?

refer80
18th September 2009, 08:33 PM
Sorted geek,had a bit of me being a cock moment,thanks once again:)

The Geek
18th September 2009, 08:56 PM
That isn't you, that's a wierd bug that rears it's head every now & again. Does it in Microsoft Photo Editor too.

Leonthefixer
19th September 2009, 02:03 PM
How are people finding the API today - bag of shit here! :mad:

Mickey Pearce
19th September 2009, 02:07 PM
How are people finding the API today - bag of shit here! :mad:

Not as bad as yesterday, but a bit sticky today.

jimrobo
19th September 2009, 02:08 PM
not great! I've seen it worse though! Gonna get prgressively worse throughout the afternoon though

Leonthefixer
19th September 2009, 04:04 PM
Seemed as usual to get a lot better post 3pm - bloody football!

jimrobo
19th September 2009, 04:18 PM
agreed mate!

rjmcgee
19th September 2009, 06:09 PM
When you guys say it got better after 3pm.... how would you rate the API on a scale of 1 to 10 from 3pm onward? 1 being "bag of shit" and 10 being no problems whatsoever?

The API was fine for me until around 2:30 or 2:45 but very sluggish afterwards for the rest of the afternoon/early evening. Starting to speed up a bit now but just barely.

Trying to figure out if it's API-related or if it's a Betfair Malta problem or an ISP problem.

jimrobo
19th September 2009, 06:10 PM
I'd give it a 7

Leonthefixer
19th September 2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah post 3.15pm I would say about 7 out of 10.

Mickey Pearce
24th September 2009, 05:16 PM
Just stopped trading the gg's. Cos the API is shit at moment. Been good all day too. :mad:

Anyone else having problems?

jimrobo
24th September 2009, 05:24 PM
no mines been really good all day? Maybe its a local issue?

The Geek
24th September 2009, 05:35 PM
Mines fine too. I actually got to play for the last hour.

Mickey Pearce
24th September 2009, 05:49 PM
Strange - it was fine up until an hour ago. :confused:

Probably local as you say. :mad:

Leonthefixer
26th September 2009, 02:06 PM
API is running shocking already for me - anyone else?

rjmcgee
26th September 2009, 02:12 PM
indeed.....

jimrobo
26th September 2009, 02:18 PM
yep very sticky for me

Leonthefixer
26th September 2009, 02:42 PM
Have you emailed BDP for us Geek?

jimrobo
26th September 2009, 02:42 PM
in fact its the worst I've seen it for a while. Really struggling with it

Leonthefixer
26th September 2009, 02:43 PM
Yup absolutely shocking - market had gone through me 4 ticks but I was sat there thinking my bet was still in the que! :eek:

I am now hitting refresh on the normal BF webpage to see what my position is!

jimrobo
26th September 2009, 02:53 PM
i'm the same by the time you see your order is filled the price has done a 4 somersaults and is waiving at you from the otherside of the ladder

jimrobo
26th September 2009, 03:17 PM
email sent to bdp.

The Geek
26th September 2009, 03:35 PM
Five to three was a mare. Otherwise, toy was fine for me. Getting the odd blip, but nothing bad. Are you using BD or the toy?

It always plays up on Saturday just before football. And BDP aren't in till Monday.

jimrobo
26th September 2009, 03:53 PM
the problem is the indicators are giving a false indication today. You are still getting a decent response time from betfair but it is taking around 1-2 seconds before betfair seems to be letting me know my order is filled. According to BD I am getting around a 40 ms response time but if I take a price it doesn't show it is filled for at least a second. The same with cancelling bets. The software tells me it is cancelled but actually it isn't out of the market for another couple of seconds. I actuallty got caught inplay on a 5f even though I had cancelled all bets. It is definately an internal problem with betfair matching bets rather than the normal network capacity issues.